4.0l XJ starting problem

I wish you luck though I believe it is the check valve. But go through the list so you know other parts are not at fault.

Winter here in Dayton Ohio has been surprisingly warm in the 30-50 deg F. Yesterday I was troubleshooting an issue in the driveway with no jacket and lying on the concrete. Today is 27F up to 31F (-3C to -1C)

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

You are made of sterner stuff then I am. Perhaps I have got too used to the hot summers!!!

The sun came out today so I had a go at the problem and I have found the probable cause without even going underneath. I thought I would start under the bonnet (hood).
I removed the return pipe from the regulator and checked the flow, which was good. When the pump stopped after a few seconds the flow continued for a second or so and the pressure disappeared.
Unfortunately I broke the quick disconnect fitting which did not quick disconnect!! I have chopped it off and replaced it with a pipe.

Having removed the regulator I found no leakage through it , checked it with a low pressure air line.
I noticed there were two O rings on the reg. and I suspected the small one in the centre might be leaking so that pressure was bypassing the reg.

I did not have the correct one to replace it with so I fitted another one on top of what was there and put it back and started the engine again.

When I switched off, lo and behold the pressure did not drop. I left it for an hour and the drop was only about 2psi. So I think I have solved to problem, time will tell.
I did not expect that to be the cause of all that hassle. A tiny O ring costing no more than a couple of cents.

Attachments

• Fuel reg..JPG
    Fuel reg..JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,074

Glad you got it fixed and I learned something new.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

I have just got one more thing to add.

The 'O' ring I fitted came from a plumbers kit so I was not certain if the material was compatible with fuel.
I have now replaced it with a Nitrile one and all seems OK, the pressure is still holding and starting is back to how it used to be.
Just for reference if anyone else is looking to change the ring you will need a 6 x 11 x 2.5. The 2.5 is the thickness of the ring material. All in millimeters.
Just something to watch out for. If you compare the picture on this post with the one above you will see what looks like a shoulder behind the 'O' ring. On mine there is no shoulder but a solid back-up ring which can fall off if you don't keep an eye out for it. Mine did.
In the pic I have seperated them for clarity.

Thank you everyone who had helped me on this.

Attachments

• CIMG2902.JPG
    CIMG2902.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 20
Back