Towing

bradleyheathhays

How can i tell if my 96 Xj has a tow package?

If it doesn't, apparently it's towing capacity is about 2000. What would happen if I tried to tow a 3400 lb trailer with it's own 'pulse brakes?'

If it doesn't, apparently it's towing capacity is about 2000. What would happen if I tried to tow a 3400 lb trailer with it's own 'pulse brakes?'

Contact Jeep Customer Service via email and provide them your full VIN. Generally, they can generate and email back to you the original Build Sheet for your vehicle. I'm not sure how far back they go, but hey, it's worth a try. They were able to send me mine for my 2002, and it was quite informative.

In '96 the factory tow package consisted of a factory 2" receiver hitch, the Chrysler 8.25" rear axle, and an external transmission cooler.

Pay attention to tongue weight as well as trailer weight. There's also payload to consider (weight of occupants, contents, and tongue weight). It's one thing to get a load moving, it's a whole other story to achieve safe handling and braking.

Etrailer . Com has some good info. Call them and u haul.
I havent hauled much but as stated. Its easy go move it but controlling and stopping are another.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Back