2010 Jeep commander freeze plugs?

silvester

Okay, first off this will be my first post on this site so hello everyone! Okay to the topic! I was driving home from out of town, was on the road for 5hrs and I. Priced the temperature was rising on my Jeep since I got the alert to check gauges. Turned on the heater to help release the heat from the engine and the heat went down to the half way mark. Once I noticed the temp rising and the heater started blowing cold air and not hot I ended up pulling into a RV park outside of Waco. Had to get it towed. Got my Jeep on some ramps this morning and noticed it leaking brown water once it heats up. Been trying to see where the leak is coming from, It’s hard to tell since the leak seems to be coming from above the starter,and I can’t track it further than that even with a inspection camera. I checked the oil thinking I might have a crack in the engine but the oil is good. I seem to have lost the coolant last night so it’s straight water in my system and the leak seems to be behind the engine or mid way near my starter? Sorry if I misspelled or have incomplete sentences. Kinda in a hurry to figure this out before I take it into the shop. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

I would call some of your local parts stores and see if they have a pressure tester in their loaner tools. I know advance auto and oreillys in my town both will loan out a pressure tester. You just leave a deposit that you get back once you return it. It will attach on your coolant refill cap. You pump it up and then you can look for the leak. If you know the general area sometimes you have to remove some stuff to verify it for sure. Anything’s possible but I seriously doubt it’s a freeze plug. You never know but I’ve been a mechanic for 14-15 years and I’ve seen maybe three leaking freeze plugs and they were all on older cars. Anyway those step one is pinpoint that leak. Let me know if you have any other questions

V6 or V8?
Are you sure the water on the starter isn’t from your air conditioner?

There is a freeze plug in the back of the head. Ive had one rot out on a car because the previous owner only ran water. Damaged the block not the plug.

Last edited:
Back