2012 Overland Engine Seize

Hi all, Been driving Jeeps for 30 years, never have had a problem. Oil changes 2500 miles, tires that's really it, until now! Up on Genoa Pass, Colorado. Suddenly Jeep stops, no lights, no warning. Try to start, all lights go off. Towed to Denver. As it turns out after 2 inspections, radiator fan blade broke off, pierced the radiator, immediate drain, engine overheated, siezed engine. 12000.00 estimate thru Jeep. Head Exploded!! Trying to get FCA to help with bill. How the heck does this happen? 63K miles

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190619-190144_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190619-190144_Chrome.jpg
    663.5 KB · Views: 16

Wow, that's some bad luck. I guess I could imagine a fan blade braking (never seen it though), but I'd expect some warning lights before it hits critical temp.

update - If you end up footing the bill yourself, I'd call around and price out that engine replacement. I don't know if 12k is good or bad, but I"d definitely shop around.

Hi all, Been driving Jeeps for 30 years, never have had a problem. Oil changes 2500 miles, tires that's really it, until now! Up on Genoa Pass, Colorado. Suddenly Jeep stops, no lights, no warning. Try to start, all lights go off. Towed to Denver. As it turns out after 2 inspections, radiator fan blade broke off, pierced the radiator, immediate drain, engine overheated, siezed engine. 12000.00 estimate thru Jeep. Head Exploded!! Trying to get FCA to help with bill. How the heck does this happen? 63K miles

First I gotta ask. You didn't smell the fluid leaking out?
The cel didn't come on warning of the overheat?
No beeping or buzzer?
The temp gage didn't rise then spike?
The engine didn't go into limp mode?

Kind of looks like when someone doesn't shut the fan off during a water crossing. When the fan kicks on it pulls itself into the radiator.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Back