Rough country 4” lift kit rattling noise

lost coyote

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0.
Just installed a rough country 4” lift kit, adjustable track bar, 1.5” wheel spacers and 31” BFGs. Had it aligned also.
There is quite a loud loose sounding rattle from underneath. It’s in the flex of the vehicle as it happens. I can’t pin point it, driving me crazy. Does anyone have experience with this?
I have a buddy with the 3.5” kit and his does this as well. Just not nearly as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Check the joints on the arms. Those joints can be a bit noisy compared to stock suspension, but not terribly noisy.

Get the vehicle into a flexing position, block the wheels carefully, and then climb under, grasp each component one at a time, and give it a good tug to see if you can pinpoint the noise. Make sure to try several flex positions, both compressed and uncompressed.

Things that come to mind are brake lines. Axel vent tubes. Anything attached to the axel.

Did the lift package include control arms and extended sway bar links? If not check your old sway bar connects snd bushings. Also control arm bushings and hardware.

Check u joints as well. Axels and shafts.

Last edited:
It was the lower control arm connection to the axle. The new ones were slightly narrower than the OEM. Or my stock housing was blown out and wider.
Either way, it’s taken care of now. Thanks.

Back