First time jeep owner, have some questions.

Art5

I was referred to this forum, already a member of a few other Jeep forums, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post here too. Always good to have extra brains to pick.
I bought the Jeep at the end of last summer, here are the links to the forums I originally posted on if you're interested in pictures of the truck, or what I've done so far:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/first-time-jeep-owner-have-some-questions-4326907/
https://www.jeeps.net/threads/first-time-jeep-owner-have-some-questions.2864/
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/first-time-jeep-owner-have-some-questions-247115/#post3565430

And the latest update, which is what brings me here today:
Hey guys, know I haven't posted in a while, but it's time for an update. Jeep has been treating me pretty well, always starts when I turn the key. Just over 251K on the clock now. Over the winter I had a couple minor problems. Had the headlight switch go bad on me, and blew some fuses in the process. I'll spare you the details of that one, though it makes for a pretty good story. Also had the passenger side U-Joint in the front axle shaft making a ton of noise on me, so I replaced that as well. Now that we're into summer I got some good news, which is that my electric cooling fan is indeed working. They weren't kidding, that thing is noisy. Still runs on the hot side in stop and go, but the old radiator has sprung a leak on me anyways, so here's hoping when I put a new one in it helps keep the truck cooler than the one that's in there now.

Wednesday the power steering sprung a leak on me. I think the metal line at the fitting of the return line is the culprit, so I picked one up with a fitting on it for $7. I just hit the old one with some PB, and I'm about to head out there and replace it. I looked in my repair manual and it specifies "Mopar Power Steering Fluid". I checked every auto parts retailer around me, and none of them carry "Mopar Power Steering Fluid". I find this strange because I'm certain that there are many other jeeps out there, many of which might even have power steering. I was told by Advanced Auto Parts, Autozone, O'Reilly's, Parts City, and even Napa and Mazza's, that when they looked up the vehicle it just called for regular power steering fluid. When I googled it, I found many people saying that only the specified "Mopar Power Steering Fluid" should be used. I didn't bother to call the dealer, because I know what they'll say. I knew the forums would be the place to get a real answer, so what's the truth?

As always, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Art

Last edited:

EDIT: Removed this post because it can be found in the links in the previous post, didn't see a reason to have both here.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a nice find. $1000 isn’t bad at all.
You have most covered. I’d probably check compression and a radiator pressure test. You could borrow the
Meters from o’Reilly’s or Az...
This will help diagnose the lower pressure after warmup. What are the values or how much movement? And if you might have a head gasket leak or crack.

Have to look if you have two temp sending units. For a while they did one for PCM and one for gage readings.

Jeeps are finicky and if you replace any sensors use OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a nice find. $1000 isn’t bad at all.
You have most covered. I’d probably check compression and a radiator pressure test. You could borrow the
Meters from o’Reilly’s or Az...
This will help diagnose the lower pressure after warmup. What are the values or how much movement? And if you might have a head gasket leak or crack.

Have to look if you have two temp sending units. For a while they did one for PCM and one for gage readings.

Thanks, when I start it cold I see around 40 psi or so, then it just drops the further I drive. It'll be very low at hot idle, but at cruising speed it go back up to around 20 psi on the gauge.
I did have two sending units, turns out one was unplugged :)

So, apparently I decided that I was having so much fun that I wanted to replace my high pressure line and the reservoir while I was at it. One question though, how do I tension the serpentine belt? Repair manual says to use a "belt tension gauge". Called around, and nobody carries a "belt tension gauge". I find this strange, because I assume that there may be other vehicles out there, many of which may even have a serpentine belt that needs to be tensioned correctly. What do you guys do?

EDIT: Let it be known that I did order the Gates belt tension tool, but it won't be here until Tuesday. I was hoping to drive my truck today.

Last edited:
Looks like you added a lot since i last read..

Use the correct oil viscosity or you will never get a correct oil pressure reading. Sending units do go bad.

Does this loom like your power steering pump? IMG_9989.JPGIMG_9990.JPG

Oreilly’s auto might rent this tool.

BTW who referred you here?

Last edited:
Use the correct oil viscosity or you will never get a correct oil pressure reading. Sending units do go bad.

The repair manual I have said that the oil I used would be ideal for my truck.
Seeing about 50 psi on the gauge when I started it up today.

Well the adjustment is a part of the pump if you didn’t see that in the pic.

Did you get a tool and resolve the issue yet?

Yes, I figured out how to physically adjust it, I tightened it until I had about 90 degrees of twist in one of the longer sections to get me by.
The tool was supposed to be here a few days ago, but hasn't arrived yet.

Shouldn't be any twist. Be sure the belt grooves match the pulley grooves and none of the idler pulley bearings are shot.

One method to be sure it is tight enough is 1/4 in of play in the longest stretch. Also by turning on the AC. Is the belt doesn't squeal it is tight enough.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Last edited:
Back