97 Sport \"chugs\"

kaw200

Hi, I have a 97 Jeep Cher. Sport 4L. About once a day it will start to chug very badly, it doesn"t stall but it does loose most of its power. This ussually happens while I am cruising and haven't noticed it idling or accelerating, yet anyway. This can last 15 seconds or as long as 10 min. I have changed the plugs, wires, and distr. cap. The check engine light stays on all the time and the code indicates oxygen sensor, however I don't believe this problem could be a result of an oxygen sensor. Anyone run into this? Thanks, Mark.
[addsig]

Looks like the O2 sensor is only $50 or $60 for that car at Carparts.com. Since it does have alot to do with the mixture of the fuel, you may want to change it.

Terry
[addsig]

THIS SOUNDS JUST LIKE WHAT I HAVE GOING ON WITH MY 97 GRAND CHE. i HAVE REPLACED THE TPS BUT AM STILL HAVING THIS CHUGGING PROBLEM. DID THE O2 SENSORS FIX YOUR PROBLEM? PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

image-missing.png
[addsig]

My '97 Gr Cherokee just started acting up with similar problems. It sputters intermittently and idle speeds have often dipped to around 200 RPMs nearly stalling the engine. I've been the only owner and this is a recent problem that has gotten really bad over the last two months. An independent mechanic was unable to determine the cause after a few tests including checks for "arc-ing" amongst the plug wires. Nothing was conclusive.

Any suggestions might save my life... the sputtering has happened twice in the middle of a busy intersection.

Thanks,

Jake[addsig]

Regarding sputtering solution for 97 Cherokee (specifically '97 Gr. Cher.): numerous similar posts suggest replacing fuel pump relay, EGR valve, crankshaft position sensor, etc. Which one works to correct this sputtering/stalling problem?

Any input for this safety issue is definitely appreciated.

[addsig]

Had the same thing happen with my 97 Wrangler SE Sport

Check Engine code said oxygen sensors and it was right.

This happened at 60,000 miles. =( My only modifications are clutch, air filter,

and 3" teraflex lift. Not sure if this could contribute...

[addsig]

Knock on wood I have replaced both upstream and down stream o2 sensors and have not had any problem since. The check engine light went off after a few cycles of the keyand have not seen it since the sensor replacement. I am not ready to say this has solved the problem as it went away before for about 3,000 miles then reeturned out of the blue. Since the milage of the truck and the maintence factor I figured what do i have to loose?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back