1993 Grand Cherokee Running Hot??

gkatzens

Hello,

I have a 93 Grand Cherokee with the V8. I have replaced the thermostat with a heavy duty one that opens farther, installed a 3 row radiator, new water pump, severe duty Hayden Fan Clutch, new temp. gauge sending unit, all hoses and so on. My Jeep cam with the heavy duty cooling package and I thus have the giant fan. I live in nice and hot Southern California and I am wondering if anyone else can tell me how their fan clutch works. My Jeep, with all the above stuff installed, will slowly heat up under load to about 230 degrees and then finally the fan will kick on. I have tried a few of the same fan clutches by returning mine and getting another one and they all seem to work the same way. Can anyone else tell me how there G. Cherokee behaves on a really hot day? I am just nervous that this aftermarket fan clutch is kicking in too late. Once the fan is running, the car cools down to around 210 degrees even on the hottest of days with the A/C on. Am I worrying about nothing, or should I shell out the ~$230 for a dealer/Mopar fan clutch?? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Garrett [addsig]

I felt your pain, my problem cleared up with a 3-core radiator and a new thermostat. Although my jeep is just a Cherokee, they seem to share the habit of running hot. What temp thermostat are you using? I'll assume it's the 195. I would not deviate too much from the factory setup on thermostat temps, I think you have the OBD1. These are fickle little critters that don't like to be played with to much. 230 is too damn hot!!

Your ZJ will drop temp while driving because the momentum is forcing air through the grill. If you are willing to drop $230 for a clutch fan, you should shop around for an electric. I think this site's online store offers one. If not go to Fex-A-Lite.com (or google, search for flex a lite electric fans). You would be surprised as to how many different setups you can get for around $150. These electric units will push more air, especially at idle. Most come with adjustable thermostats so you can go cooler in summer and hotter in winter. They are VERY simple to install, and as long as your not making high water crossings, I would say they are pretty reliable.

As soon as I get mine lifted, exaust done, and the wife lets me, I plan on getting one.

That's my $0.02, good luck.[addsig]

Thanks for your help. I have considered the electric fan route already, but have been afraid to act on it. My mechanical fan is 18" diameter with 3" of depth (pitch) which is a beast. I don't think an electric will be able to move as much air as this monster without pulling some serious current. However, I would be able to control it's operating temperature range much better. I am nervous about giving up my massive fan though as it will do the job (at the expense of my hearing as the thing is realllllly loud) when the needle heads south. As for the thermostat, I have tried four different ones including one from the dealer. I finally found one from a place that is a heavy duty unit and opens .100" farther than the dealer unit. It is a 195 degree thermostat and I am convinced it works properly. Any more ideas would be greaty appreciated. I am currently considering removing one of the smaller structural members in front of the drivers side of the radiator (helps to hold down the hood from what I can tell) and installing a 12" Hayden pusher fan in addition to my existing mechanical fan. I thought I would just trigger it off its own rely when ever the A/C is on????? What do people think?

Thanks,

Garrett[addsig]

On the v8 grand cherokees there is a two part fan shroud if the bottom piece is missing it will overheat i have seen it a hundred times i have heard the same story so make sure it is there if it is then go the radiator route good luck[addsig]

Back