Cherokee has slight starting problem

superflei

Hi.

I just got a tune-up done (new fuel filter, spark plugs, air filter, etc).

It's not a huge problem, but I just want to know what is causing this. My Cherokee (2WD 6-Cyl) has 120000 miles on it. When I start it now sometimes (doesn't happen every time mind you), it takes a couple of chugs before it starts up, and sometimes it shakes when I turn it off. When I'm driving, or idling, I can feel a difference in the "flow" of the vehicle...it feels rough and the steering wheel and pedals vibrate more than they use to.

Am I just paranoid, or is this a problem? Is it the crankshaft sensor?

Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Evan [addsig]

Did you have the timing checked? With 120k you might want to also have the injectors cleaned/replaced. When I say cleaned, I mean by a shop or a really expensive kit. The gas tank method works most of the time if used regularly, but if it hasn't been done for most of the 120k it may be something to look into.

Just my $0.02[addsig]

IF YOUR VEHICLE TAKES A LONG TIME TO START WHEN YOU FIRST START IT IT IS MORE LIKLY THAT FUEL PRESSURE IS BLEEDING DOWN (A VERY COMMON PROBLEM) THERE IS A TUBE ON YOUR FUEL PUMP THAT HAS A CLAMP THAT LOOSENS UP YOU NEED TO REMOVE YOUR FUEL PUMP AND TIGHTEN THESE CLAMPS ALSO CAN TRY TO ADJUST YOUR CRANK SENSOR BUT I DONT RECOMMEND THE CRANK SENSOR METHOD UNLESS YOU HAVE DONE IT BEFORE IF YOU ASK ANYONE THEY WILL TELL YOU THAT THE CRANK SENSOR IS NON-ADJUSTABLE GOOD LUCK[addsig]

Back