Brake locking up at Boat dock.

limbmkr

Hello again!! :D

Wondering whats up with tat, I backed down my boat into the water on the long slope boat ramp. Brake locks up and tires dragging on partly on top of few gravels on the concrete Ramp.

Brake rotor looks very clean no dimples or rough feelings on both side on both Passenger's side and Drivers side. Will hafta check the rear brake cuz the emergency brake lever on the console isnt working.

Let me know what you guys think of or have gone thru what I m at now.

Thanks for whoever replys!
Later yall
Brian

I've had my rear (drum brakes) lock up on me some when it's raining out. Seems to be a combination of a rear axle seal leaking fluid into the brakes and crappy shoes I bought :roll:. I did some fine tuning with the adjusters in the drums and it helped alot.

If your parking brake isn't working, you should look at the adjusting assemblies, they might have come too loose. Also, there is a nut on the end of the Parking brake lever (under the jeep) that you can tighten up. But note that you should fix or adjust the rear brakes BEFORE tightening the Parking brake lever nut.

-Nick :!:

Alrighty, Will take a good look at the rear braking before tightening the cables up . I will never let this Jeep go!! Like the rides and everything!! but still have work to do on that 1989 Cherokee jeep!

This happened to be my first searching for Jeep chat/message board, GREAT BOARD that I have found! Great people here helping out..

Thanks XJNick..

Your welcome.

Also, when you do adjust the star adjusters in the drum, they should be adjusted so the brake shoes just barely touch the drum.

-Nick :!:

Emissions Fiasco

Nick,

Where did you get your brake shoes? I need to pick up a set of drums and shoes and I am going to replace the springs/guts/everything in the drums. Autozone and pep-boys sell crap brake components. I am looking for another source.

Curt

Well you are right! I bought those crap brake shoes at Autozone. :lol: Honestly, I'm still using them because the problem pretty much went away (for now at least). I'll probably look for better pads after I get my Jeep back on the road :p .

Now I've just got to stop this axle seal (that I've replaced twice now) from leaking in my right side brakes!

Nick :!:

Back