How to change Front Hub & Bearing on Cherokee

Imfstr

I have a 91 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I need to replace the front driver side Hub & Bearing assembly. Can anyone out there provide me with any instructions/assistance?

Keep on Jeepin'

Hi,

Sorry I can't help... never replaced those. Be paitent and I'm sure someone can help you :mrgreen:

Also, please don't double post :mrgreen:.

-Nick :!:

Thanks Sound_Man. Link is great help...step by step instructions.

8)

I recently just posted this
I have a 1988 Jeep Cherokee and it has this nose that gets louder when I go faster. Its constant but you really can’t hear it when your going 50km and below but it's still there, but once you go above 50km/h your can really hear the "WHOM WHOM WHOM" sound it’s hard to explain but it doesn’t sound like any grinding just a WHOM sound. It does this especially when I’m turning, but it still does this sound either way. I know this has nothing to do with my engine because I can throw this sucker in neutral and it still has this exact nose.

do you think by replacing the wheel barings would fix this problem, what was your reason for replacing yours?

mikeyost,

The reason I changed my hub & bearings is becasue I was getting the same "WHOM WHOM WHOM" sound you are getting. The noise got worse going around turns in the road.

Made the change and it made 100% difference.

To check for bad wheel bearings, grab the front tire at 3 and 9 and wobble. You should get the same wobble by grabbing at 6 and 12. Double check to make sure there's no wobble in the tie rod ends and ball joints.

The sound when turning is most likely from the wheel bearings. You can only buy the hub as one peice, you can't take the bearing out. at least on my 92 xj. I have slot tried on a dodge ram and when you rip the hub apart you can't get it back together. In the states from pepboys a hub is about $180.00. Another tip is to check you universal joint when you have the hub out. The axle will slide right out of the diff. Make sure is moves freely. This will save time in the long run. Thats my two cents. (one more this is if you buy it from pepboys make sure you save your reciept or at least give them your phone number so they can save your purchase. I put a hub on from them that went bad in 4 months and they would not refund.)

Back