Cherokee Transfer case noise

scott_dibble

Between 20-50MPH my 2001 Cherokee Classic has a fairly loud ticking noise accompanied with a progressively faster (woomp woomp woomp) noise. It almost sounds as if the transfer case chain (is it chain or gear driven, pardon the ignorance) is slapping the sides of the case (does this chain spin while in 2-wheel drive?!!), is the any way to check and or adjust the tension??!! This is my first jeep and am not very happy with it unfortunately because of this and a $114 tag on new rear shoes! This thing has more noises then an '83 Chevette!
image-missing.png

***Also if anybody has a transfer casetransmission that they would like to sell, let me know (great working condition of course!)

sdibble@nycm.com[addsig]

I´ll have to pled ignorance on your transfer case. But I do know drive train problems are notroiously hard to locate on occasion. One of the best ways to check is put it up on a lift (frame lift) with a driver in it. start it up in the air and take a close look and listen (with a flashlight). I´ve seen mechanics change rear axle bearings, when the rear transmission bearing was bad. I´ve seen them change U-joints when the fly wheel bolts were loose. It you just had a break job done, it might be a loose brake part or even a brake line rubbing somewhere. Mechanics sometimes get in a hurry and make mistakes. Try applying a little pressure with the parking brake, while running it in the air, sometimes a little drag will make noises appear and disappear. A mechanics stethiscope or even a long extension or a small piece of pipe held up to your ear will sometimes help in nailing down sound sources. Loose clothing (or long hair) is a no-no when poking around under a car with a moving drivetrain. Good hunting.[addsig]

Back