91 Cherokee Laredo

Greg

Hello,

I have a 91 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. The jeep has been overheating so I replaced the thermostat with a 180 high flow therm. This did not help so I have bought a GDI 3 row radiator that I hope to install this weekend. Do you think this will help? I have heard others say that this is usually a good fix. The jeep heats up to 210 eventually even going down the road. It has tried to creep up to 225 especially with the air on, but I stop it from going any further. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Greg[addsig]

What color was the coolent when you changed the stat?

11 years old,has the cooling system been flushed,to your knowledge?

Is your water pump making noise,leaking,seeping?

[addsig]

Hello,

I flushed the radiator and a lot of junk came out until clear but I guess that was not enough. The water pump is ok. The coolant did look nasty though.

Greg[addsig]

Well with a new Radiator and thermostat you 'should' be ok.

You added a 60/40 mix of antifreeze/water?

How are your Radiator hoses? It would kind of suck to have one of them burst now.[addsig]

It made a HUGE difference with mine. My 93 would run at 210 on the highway and would get to around 225 in city (all with AC on). Now it drops to 190-195 on the highway and only gets to a little under 210 in city (again, awith AC on).

My only regret is not instaling the 180 thermostat.

You should look into getting the turbo city Thermostat housing, it's not much more than the stocker and it is supposed to flow a little better. I am also looking into getting a seperate transmission cooler so that the hot transmission fluid doesn't heat the coolant. [addsig]

Hello,

My hoses are ok. The thermostat I went with was one of those high flow types that was not stock, I can't remember the brand. I think the stock radiator is just a one core? This 3 core should be nice. I will let you guys know how it turns out. I am installing the radiator Friday night. Thanks for the replies!

Greg[addsig]

Keep that 180 thermostat in mind if you have trouble getting through the smog test. The computer leans out the system a little at 190+. There is even a seperate sender to tell the computer what the temp. is. I been told by a mech, that I ask questions of, that if the temp. doesn´t get up above 190 or the sender goes out, it can cause premature failure of the Cat. Just something to keep in mind. [addsig]

Chuck, I'm not sure, but I think that pertains to 97 and newer that have the OBD2 computers, and not the earlier OBD1's. The OBD2 systems have a lot more controlers than the OBD1. BUT, I could be wrong.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey, just remembered that you will have to do a little mod to get the two top brackets to fit with the 3 core (it is thicker than the stock radiator). I just used a dremel to widen the holes so they fit.

Other than that it was VERY easy.[addsig]

Hello,

I was messing around with some other things on the jeep today and noticed the CCV elbow was broke and oil was coming out around it on the rear of the valve cover on my inline 6. I went to Auto Zone to get this part but they did not have it. Must be a dealer item. I checked my air cleaner housing also and there is some oil in it. The jeep has 180,000 miles on it, so I guess it could be blowby. It was given to us by my inlaws so I can't really complain plus it looks really nice. My wifes sister drove it for a year or so and totally did not take care of it but cosmetically it is ok. I don't mind putting a little money into it. Hope to get the radiator in on Friday night. Anyone familiar with the CCV system on these jeeps? Is there anything else I need to do to clean it?

Greg[addsig]

This website will answer a lot of you questions. Go to the dealer and ask for a CCV valve. They'll know by the year whether you need just the valve or the rest of the assembly. Here is the main site address:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/xj-engines.html

Here are the two articles they have about blow by:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/04_apr/valvecover/cover.html

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/engine/40ltr/blowby.htm

My 93 just needed the $5 valve. Works great, and installs in about 3minutes.[addsig]

Jeep recommends replacement of most all of the soft vacuum lines at 50,000 miles. I usually replaced mine when they became cracked or brittle. What I did do, which seemed to help some, was remove all of the vacuum lines from the valve cover and clean them out with solvwent every once in a while. I found some which were completly closed or resricted. Be carefull old plastic connectors get brittle (twist before pulling). A little silicon spray helps soften things up. I used synthetic oil which typically keeps things a little cleaner, regular oil will gum things up faster. Most high mileage Jeeps have some blowby, Jeep traditionally uses pretty hard rings which do cut into the cylinder walls some. Also check fro chaffing on the bottom of the plastic vacuum lines after so many years they do rub through on occasion.

Raven. The possibily of me being confussed, is in direct proportion to my birthdays. I started out working on an old military in 1964, through a J-20 in 67 to a full size Wagoneer in 77 through a Xj in 87 to my Yj today with a whole load of buddies rides in between. I try to be helpful and keep other people from making the same mistakes I´ve made, but I do get my models confussed on occasion.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

In my 93 XJ, I changed my oil from valvoline to Amsoil, a racing oil. The temperature now on average is just below top center of the guage. With air on, it creeps just over the center. This oil is changed every 25,000 miles (synthetic) and the special filter is changed every 12,500 miles. Cost wise it works out about the same.

After adding this oil, my engine has consistently run cooler. While this may not fix any cooling issue and you wouldn't want to overlook that, this will help the engine run cooler overall.

Carvel[addsig]

Back