Fog Lights not working

90Xjay

Manual Choke

I just bought my first Jeep, a 1990 XJ. The factory fog lights will not work.
I pulled the bulb out of one and connected to 12V, and it lit. I can't seem to find a fuse marked for the circut. It must have a relay, can anyone please tell me more about the fog light circut?

Re: cj5 owners, or everyone... question

The fog light relay is located on the driver's side fender inside the hood. It may be mounted to the fender, or just lying around in there by the air filter box.

I have had problems with this relay getting stuck in the open (OFF) position. Try lightly tapping it against the fender while the fog lamp switch is on to see if that will correct the problem.

I know on the older model cherokees that the fog lamps have no fuse, but are protected instead by a fuseable link located by the starter relay. I'd assume your '90 is the same way. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

arc

Thanks Nick, I will check that out asap.
BTW, I live in Texas also, whats your ZIP?

Mark

If you can just trace back all of the wires till you find the relay. Check the switch and other componets with a votlage meter. Good luck in this as I hate to have stuff like that on my Jeep that will not work. tug

We had the same problem in our '98, kept having to replace the switch and it would work. Last switch we got from the stealership had a special doodad (technical term) wired inline, I guess it was to address the problem of the switch always failing. Never had a problem after that.

Check to see if a new switch fixes your problem.

Well I got around to looking for that relay and there are 4 relays near the air cleaner box. 2 are side by side on the inner fender well and 2 more are mounted seperatley closer to the front. I pulled each one, took off the cover, they looked fine with no hot spots. I re-installed and tapped on each one with the switch on and still nothing. I will take Tug's advice and trace back the wires to the relay, and then look at the switch with a volt meter on both sides. Fun.
Thanks guys!!

Mark

Hmmm...

I know by the driver's side fender there will be a Bosch relay (5 pin) for the fog lamps, and a 4-Pin relay for the electric radiator fan. The other two relays must be for other options that your XJ has that my XJ doesn't have, as I only have 2 relays (maybe for ABS or something?).

I guess the next step would be to check the switch. If that's not the problem, It's possible that fuseable link is bad. Also be sure to check all the grounds.

BTW, I'm 78209 (for now anyways) :mrgreen:
-Nick :!:

Nick,
You are right, mine does not have an electric cooling fan, my fan is waterpump driven, but my XJ does have ABS. That is probably why the difference in the array of relays.

Mark

Back