Radiator heads-up

MudderChuck

AWD Jeep bike

Noticed on two different XJ´s 4.0 pre 91, in the last month. The bottom cross support (from end to end bottom) for the radiator, is rusted and probably getting a little thin. The mounts/supports are a good 6-7 inches in from the end. The ends are where most of the coolant is (wieght). Both radiators are a little bowed at the ends (take a pounding on dirt raods). One radiator failed, the water passage split and some of the fins seperated. The other bowed considerably, but as of yet hasn´t sprung a leak.
I´ve soldered/repaired and before installation, I am going to wrap the bottom ends, with a little sandwhich wrap (so they don´t stick)and shoot a small ball of foam under the ends for a little more support.
A shot of foam under the ends might save a radiator leak, off roading sometime. Sure can´t hurt much.

I never gave it much thought but I guess the weight of coolant is greater at the base of a vessel. Just something I would not think about. Padding the support will be a good call in the end. Changeing out for a new core is just plain to much money if it can be avoided. tug

Saw basically the same thing, on many Dodges over the years. On the Dodge the hold downs/mounts, would corrode and become unattached. The radiator takes a pretty good pounding on the trials. Some support at the bottom (flexible) seemed to make them last longer. The holding tank for the radiator on the XJ´are on the end. The bottom mount 6-7 inches in from the end. If the bottom cross brace, rusts or becomes unsoldered from the base. much of the wieght of the radiator is resting on the fins, they will bend and deform. Some padding (flexible) under the end tanks (holding tanks) will help support some of the wieght.

Back