4 Wheel Drive Question

sudsmaster

I have a 95 ZJ 4.0 with select-trac and we got some snow yesterday, when I went to put it in 4 wheel drive the front end made a loud clunking noise when I turned, is this normal. Also does anyone know the proper way to put it in 4 wheel drive sometimes I dont think it engages right and the front wheels dont pull. Thanks for you help.

Only use the 4 wheel drive if you are in a place and time that your tires can slip as in snow enought to cover the ground and pavement, mud sand ect.... tug

if you have the selec-trac, you CAN run it in full-time 4WD on pavemet without causing damage, which is good enough for light snow (sounds to me like you might have left it in part time)... for heavier snow (if you have traction problems in fulltime) put it in part time. so long as tires can slip you can run part time. i have the same ZJ as you do. also, if you think it does not engage the front wheels, you may need to adjust the shift linkage, just because the light is on does not mean that it is in gear.

Back