Looking for input on exhaust systems.

Ghetto_Smurf

Im looking for a new exhaust system. I have looked at borla, gibson, and a few others. Im curious to hear what others have purchased and to hear the pros and cons of them. Another option I read about is running a straight pipe from the catalytic converter. I would do this because it would be cheap.. but im afraid of power loss and it sounding bad. input on this would be great.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Borla header, free flow cat, Ravin muffler (available at Midas I believe) with 2.25" pipe. There are 3 different Ravin muffler depending on what kind of perfomance you want. I went with the Z-33 series, which is the most free flowing and loudest. Then there's the Z-55, a little quieter, but still good performer. And then the Z-77, just a little louder than stock, and made for stuff like trailer towing.[addsig]

Probably not legal for you to run without a muffler

Here's my install of a generic NAPA muffler

Cat-back muffler install

If I remember right, this whole setup was around $100, and with a cutter, it was pretty easy to do.

I though about doing the expensive muffler thing, but then you can spend hundreds on an exhaust system just to have it taken off by a tree stump.

[addsig]

The whole durability thing is one thing im worried about. I have looked at different systems and the cheaper ones are aluminized and the expensive ones are stainless steal.. ill look into both of your ideas. thx[addsig]

taken the Catalytic Converter off is a Federal Offense,I believe.

and if you have to worry about Emission testing,they will not pass you.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I didnt say i would take off the catalytic converter. The exhaust pipe would start there and go back. there would just be no muffler. So it would still pass emissions. I read about it somewhere.. ive been looking for the article. [addsig]

I just installed a Catco direct replacement performance cat and a Borla exhaust. in my 91 LTD. Runs like a V-8. I chose the Borla because I plan on keeping it a long time, SS is the way to go.

rog[addsig]

I have a 95 country and I put a Dynomax cat back on it...turbo muffler. I think it sounds great, little rumble at idle, not loud but sounds good when you kick it down. Price was alright to, $200 canadian,about $50 American I think
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hahhaah. I ran through almost every system known to mankind on my Jeep. So, right now, I am running nothing (no cats too). Until I get my new motor. I wouldn't recommend this for you, since you could pay a 27,000 dollar fine.

ANYWAYS....

1. If you want noise and a nice growl. Get GIBSON The power is so-so.

2. If you want really loud noise with a little less back pressure similiar to that of running with no muffler, get a cherry bomb glasspack.

3. If you want reallllllyyyyy good power and good fuel mileage, get a flowmaster 40 series. 3 chamber is quieter, but 2 chamber original flows gives that race car sound.

4. Borla is nice, but too similiar to gibson, if you got the money, go ahead and get a borla, they are good stuff.[addsig]

if you check out Cherokee America it describes how you could spend only 50 bucks and have the muffler removed and just add a pipe out the end of the cat. http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/05_may/str-exhuast/exhaust.html I recommend you download the two .wav files at the bottom. Here the difference. I wonder if no muffler in California is illegal...hm..if not im going for a Magnaflow high performance muffler.

I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 2x4. It sucks to not have 4x4, but i could still do stuff. Future specs: K&N Air filter, 3" Rancho suspension lift, 30" tires, Magnaflow Muffler, Flowtech Headers[addsig]

Go to Rusty's and get the cat-back system from him. It's the best price around and the Flowmaster mufflers are street legal and have a nice sound to them.
Plus, it's aluminized so the thing will never rust and if it does, it's guaranteed for life.
Ed
web/gadget guru

Back