Buddy needs new transfer case for 2000 Grand Cherokee

Nick_Mur

A buddy of mine took his wife's jeep grand into the shop becuase it was making some awful noises, turns out when he had a Penzoil shop check all the fluids they failed to replace the plug on the transfer case and it was bone dry!! Dealership is telling him it will take 9 hours to tear it apart with no guarantee of what parts he'll need once they're in it. Or, he can buy a replacement transfer case for $2200 and it only takes them 3 hours to do the swap. Are there any aftermarket transfer cases for the grand out there or should he just have the dealership do the work?

Thanks

i would just go to the scrap yard and get a t case and put it in. or have someone else put it in.

If the penzoil place did the work and you have a reciept of that work done and an estimate from the dealership...I would think they are on the hook for the cost. It shouldnt cost you a penny. They carry insurance for this sort of thing.

judge - good call, i think you're right! might be a struggle to PROVE anything tho...

A buddy of mine had a quickie lube leave the oil drain plug out of his oil pan and ruined his engine. They paid for it without much of a problem. I think these places have to have insurance and a procedure for taking care of this stuff because it happens so often. If you can prove that this happened within a reasonable time frame of your fluid change, I would have a talk with the manager of that shop!

I think it is call errors and ommisions insurance. At least give it a try to see if you can get the work and parts replaced. If not look into an upgrade transfer case of some sort. What would an atlas cost. Bet it is under 2200.00 bucks though. never priced one? tug

You should be able to find a used one for $300 to $800, and they are a cinch for a novice mechanic to install. Remove both driveshafts and shift linkage, unbolt the transfer case and install the replacement. Button things up and you're done.

Don't let the stealership take advantage of this jeeper.

He's talking with Penzoil but their bucking so he's going to go ahead and start shopping the local junk yards for a used one. Me and another guy from work are going to help him get it installed when he finds one.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Back