Where to fit my spare?

y2kxj

2000 xj 2-1/2" OME lift extra 1" in rear(Shackles)
Now that that my lift kit is in I ordered my new tires. 255 BFG AT's I tried the 265's but they rubbed the mud flaps and were only clearing the sway bar by 1/4". So I decided to go to the 255's. I had a 255 mounted on my spare and it won't fit in the stock location now. Any ideas of where I can but this thing? I want someting that looks good! I have considered a swinging mount but it must flow with the lines of the vehicle, and be durable. If you have any ideas please post em. Thanks.

I put mine on my roof. Yes it's not pretty, but it get's the job done.

um, there are many sites out there that offer bumpers with a tire holder on them.

thats my ideas

it'll look real mean if you get a roof rack with a cargo basket to throw your spare in... i've seen that; looks real nice. other option, as stated before, is the rear mounted tire carrier. they're expensive, and hard to install, and annoying to get around to open your tailgate. you also have to relocate your license plate if you want to use this method. i'd go for the roof.

I've got my tire on my roof rack. I went out and bought a cargo rack. so i'm pretty happy with the result. I'll post a pic if you want.

I'm eyeing up the Garvin Roof Rack with the spare tire holder. Post the picture of yours please.
pinaplebob,

image-missing.png

With my rack i've added lights and a shovel and i am planing on a highlift jack and bike racks

I agree with the roof rack method. Nothing looks tougher than an XJ with the spare on the roof. Plus the rack will add to the versatility of the Jeep :wink:

Guys,
I was just wondering if your lifted and you place a congo rack and a spare tire on top does that affect your handling . I been pondering on grabbing one and throwing my spare on top but me being just lazy I always thought what a pain in the ass to climb up and drag a 31 or bigger tire out of that. But I must admit it makes the cherokee have that rough looking edge to it.

Alignment specs different after lift?

pinaplebob, your xj looks good. Thanks for the picture. When I can come up with the cash I think that is the way to go.

I don't think it handles differently. The only time I know it's up there is going over bumps, because there is a funny rattle coming from up there. And when its a really windy day it whistles a little bit. Other then that I can't tell. My XJ is lifted 3 inches now, (the picture is when I first got my XJ.) I don't think it affects anything. But I wouldn't put large amounts of weight up there and then turning sharply.

Back