2000 Cherokee horn/airbag light issues

hinsone3

I searched the forum becuase I thought I saw an post about this before. Anyway, my 2000's airbag light comes on after the vehicle starts up. Sometimes it will just stay on until the engine is shut off or it will go on and off every once in awhile. The horn won't work at all either. I've checked all the fuses and everything looks good.

I've heard Cherokees have had problems with the instrument panel connections but before I get charged tons of money by a dealer I figured I'd ask everyone for some suggestions, tips, etc... Thanks

loosing pressure

Hi,

I'm sorry I can't be of much help, since I know very little about Air bag systems. There's one thing I do know, I wouldn't even attempt to mess with the system, instead when the Air bag lamp comes on, I'd take the vehicle in to an authorized shop that can *safely* diagnose the problem.

I say this because it would probably be in you best interest, otherwise you could get seriously hurt :shock:

-Nick :!:

It's a bad BUS connection between the instrument cluster and the wiring harness. A good whack on top of the dash will usually straighten it out, but a more permanent fix requires redoing the BUS connection. This involves dialectic grease and zip ties, some have even bent the pins inside the bus connector for better contact.

hmmmm... interesting.... i bet its the clock spring, when your airbag light comes on and stays on i bet ur horn dont werk either rite? if thats the case you probably got some crud in the clock spring, theres a tiny little ribbon wire int here thats about 8 inches long, and the slightest dirt will dammage it, its not a problem to replace but if you have never done it b4 i would suggest u take it to a certified shop, one mess up can give u a 200+ MPH punch in the face with an airbag, and believe me they look like they can hurt, xpecially if ur sitting there with tools trying to fix it and u get nailed with your tools, it will probably kill someone, becarefull if u plan on doing it if u have any questions i can probably answer them,i play with airbags all the time at work and iv done mine in my TJ also

also when your airbag light comes on and stays on dont drive like a nut... your air bags will NOT work in case u get into an accident.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll mess around with most things but not with the airbag. Its due for some scheduled maint. anyway so i'll see what kind of song and dance I get then. Thanks again

Back