Wheels and Tires??

LRwrnglr

Well I'm goin to buy a set of shackles from my buddy and raise the jeep 2". What size of wheels and tires would you recommend??thanx

LR

i'd be more worried about correcting your steering after the shacle lift than purchasing tires and wheels... and you won't want to run anything above 31x10.5 on 5x9 wheels.

image-missing.png

Re: Not another winch question ???

Don't raise a jeep 2" with shackles, they will be 4" longer than stock and that creates problems. A shackle only lifts half the difference in height from the stock shackle. You'll decrease the caster in the front and jeep will wander all over. Pinion angle in the rear will increase enough that it may cause vibes.

Shackle lifts are okay in small amounts, like .5" to 1" of lift. Otherwise use add-a-leaves, body lifts, TJ fender flares, or any combination thereof, if you're trying to avoid the expense of a spring lift.

ahtoobad... what do you mean by 5x9 wheels? do you mean 15x9?
LRwrnglr... what Bounty said. Don't do all shackle lift. I'd rather see 2" body lift than shackle lift. Above that, I'd rather see an add-a-leaf lift. Plus, I think you're asking questions out of order. First you need to decide what size tire you want to fit on your Jeep. Then, decide what it's gonna take to make that. If you're trying to run 31's, then the add-a-leaf should be sufficient. If you want a little room for those tire to move, add the 1" body lift from Daystar and/or TJ flares.

C

Well im only 15 and my parents wont let me put any lifts on so i was just going to put on some shackles to get some nice tires under it, i cant really do any wheelin, parents wont let me "its too dangerous, it'll tip over". so i was just lookin for some lift to get maybe some 31's under it for some muddin on some old roads. thanx

LR

Then I'd say go with a body lift. The 2" kit will cost about $100. Join a local jeepclub and get them to help install it for free.

C

All of my questions may sound dumb, im just a starter. But if i do put the shackles on with possibley a 1" will i be able to get reasonable sized mud tires under it without any major problems??thanx

LR

obviously i meant 15x9... smart ass.

LR... tell your parents to shut up.

No problem with the noob questions, everybody has to start somewhere. Better to ask the questions before money is wasted and/or mistakes are made.

You'll need 2" of lift to clear the 31" tires on a YJ.
2" body lift
1" shackle lift + 1" body lift
1" shackle lift + TJ fender flares
1" shackle lift + 1" AAL
1" AAL + 1" body lift
1" AAL + TJ fender flares
1" body lift + TJ fender flares

A 1" body lift is easy, 11 genuine hockey pucks and 11 grade 5 or 8 bolts, 1" longer than stock. $25 total cost and I've done it to 4 jeeps now, no problems. A 1.5" add-a-leaf is easy with a spare pair of front YJ springs. You cut the eyes from the main leaf and use the top two leaves of each pack to add to your current springs. Easy to do without removing the leaf packs from the jeep.

LR... tell your parents to shut up.
:lol: :lol:

He's right, you have to go pretty crazy to flip that jeep of yours...

AH TOO BAD, don't call me a smart a$$ just cause you can't type. It seemed obvious what you were trying to say but you don't have to get all snappy about it when I seek correction. I didn't want you to confuse the new jeeper.

C

LRwrnglr-- Your parents are right, it's easy to flip a Jeep offroad. It's easy to flip anything if you don't know what you're doing. Learn to wheel your factory Jeep before you modify it. It's less fun that way, but it will make you a better fourwheeler in the end and it will keep you out of trouble at first while you make stupid mistakes. Big tires break stuff too......

Plus, if you start off wheelin' a stock Jeep, it's just that much more fun when you start putting mods' on it and then go out wheelin'

Back