leaf spring pop!!!

95yj

hi everyone, got an odd problem here! when i turn my wheels my leaf springs pop really loud,(only when wet or wd-40'd),so i got under there while my old man turned it and saw that each leaf is shifting under each other! (its not anything like the bushings already checked them) has any one had this problem or know of a fix??? btw,i have a 3in rough country kit on my 95 yj

damn...i guess not to buy rough country springs... that is wierd man. Chech the clamps holding the pack together.

yah, all I can think of is to check the clamps. So you don't have to be moving, just turn the wheel and it does it?

damn man thats weird... id do what ah would do but also check your center bolts. see if theyre stripped any or if the nut is coming loose. hope this helps

Your the second person I know who has this problem besides me. My CJ7 started doing the "spring shift thing" the day I installed Rcacho 2.5" lift springs front & back with RS5000 & Rancho S/Stabiliser.

My first attempt was to grease between the leafs, didn't make a difference if fact it got worse. I contacted Rancho they didn't seem too interested.

I have tightened the clamps = no good , replaced center bolts = no good
taken them off and swaped sides =no good, talked to countless suspention experts= no clue.
Sorry to make it rain like this, the advise I can give is not to waste your time by trying the above. Untill today I thought it was because it's Rancho, there may still be hope. :wink:

Why don't you just buy More spring pack clamps? I'm sure you can get them seperate, clamp them down at the ends of the leafs that are shifting. I would get 2 for each pack. Try it out!

shifting? what really do you mean? if the clamps are correct... they will be held from any latteral movement.. and should be kept to minimal movement up and down

They can only shift as much as the spring clamps will allow, and I don't know what to tell you about the popping noise.

Make sure the ubolts are torqued to spec.

just talked to rough country they said im lying,that the springs cant do that,but theyll sell me new ones!!!

wow!
that sounds pretty cool.

always good to see a company stand behind their product. (even if they accuse you of lieing)

You should tell them to come and take a look at it themselves if they say you're lying!! That doesn't really seem all that cool to me, it seems like extremely poor public relations!! Of course they will try to get you to buy new ones, call them back and talk to some one in charge and tell them about it

As Bounty mentioned, the springs can only shift if they are not properly clamped. The U bolt torque is actually quite important, as it is what clamps the weakest parts of the spring pack together. Have you checked the thread length of your u bolts to make sure that the nut is not bottoming out. If so a proper torque indication might be read but the clamping force required would not be there. My .02 worth.

Need some opinions

i checked all the specs and tightened the u-bolts,the clamps are fine also ,im out of ideas!

I still can't imagine what could be popping within the leaf pack. There are several other things under the front that can pop, but the springs are not likely culprits.

Sure, they can shift easily enough, that's not uncommon.

I don't understand how they could shift if they are clamped together. Either they're clamped in place or they are not. If the clamps are ok and in place there should be no lateral movement of the leaves.

it really doesn't make sense.. and if they are under load, then they should be held stacked

Could be worn tie rod ends. I think it has more to do with your steering than your suspension, but I've been wrong before.

C

The leaves will only fan out as much as the spring clamps allow, usually only 1/4" or less at the ends of the leaves.

Hit 'em back inline with a BFH.

AR 767 wheels back space ?

my clamps broke a couple months ago and my rear driver pack fanned out completely... still no popping.. i just jacked it up, BFHed them back, and put some clamps on

Back