STEERING COLUMN

hutson307

I HAVE A 91 WRANGLER AND THE STEERING COLUMN IS FLOPPING AROUND HOW DO I TIGHTEN IT UP? SEEMES TO BE IN THE TILT PART.

I'd first check the steering shaft where it enters the firewall, under the brake master cylinder. There is a plastic collar here held in by a metal clip. The plastic collar often works it's way out of the column and causes play in the steering shaft, resulting in up and down, side to side play in the steering wheel. Remove the metal clip, slide the plastic collar back in, and reinsert the metal clip.

Let me know if this resolves it.

I lost the link but jeep uses a GM colomn. There are a lot of write ups. They are a little differant but basically the same. You will need a stearing wheel puller, there is a tool to get the c clip out.

Pull the steering wheel, remove collor, use tool to remove clip, remove whell lock thing, remove blinker assy, remove egnition switch (this is where write up was differant, my CJ had a tab I had to push down the they said to undo a screw) remove the collor around the colomb, tighten the 2 bolts you can barely get to. Reinstall.

I am going off of memory so get a book or look at a wrightup. This made a huge differance in my CJ. The wright ups said to use lock tite but I could not get the 2 bolts out so I cranked them down tight. Hope this helps. It took me a while because I couldn't figure out how to unplug the blinker assy so I just fished it through the collor. It also took a while figuring how to remove the Ignition switch.

Back