Exhaust manifold leak

88Wrangles

1988 Wrangler 2.5L

I just had the head on my Jeep rebuilt, and I don't think they tightened the manifold bolts down far enough, because is leaking out pretty bad (it doesn't even stop once it is well warmed up). My question is, would this also be taking away some of my power?? I used to have a desent amount of power, then after this, it went down tremendiously. I am going to tighten it up, but I'm too lazy right now.

Thank You in advance!!

Are you sure it's your exhaust? Just go to any Midas or any muffler shop in your area and have it checked-out for leaks. They will give you free test and they will tell you which part of the exhaust is leaking.

Loss of power on a leaking exhaust? Yes it does.

GoodLuck

I know for sure that it is only leaking where the manifold meats the engine. Spray a little watter on it there while its running, and you can then see the exhaust leaking out.
Would it cause a very noticable difference in power?

I'm pretty sure the exhaust is leaking around where the bolts are at. Any one know if this would cause a very noticable loss in power???

an exhaust leak can cause power loss if it is large enough. Your engine needs a certain amount of back pressure to function properly. tighten your bolts down and you should feel a change in the power. it would be as laggy. hope this helps. happy jeepin'!

Thanks for the info!! The washers that they used were too large in the center, so when they tightened up the bolts, they just bent in. Now, anyone know what kind of washers came on there originally? A couple that they used where thick rubber ones, are these correct?

Just go to any Midas or any muffler shop in your area and have it checked-out for leaks
I went to Midas when i first got my jeep that had an exhaust leak and they wouldnt look at it b/c they said they didnt look at the engine... They just told me that a baffle was loose in my exhaust and i needed a new one bad... SURE ... turns out Ive got a bolt broken off in the head .. WILL the exhaust leak hurt the engine overall till I can find the time to fix it?

Any one know what the bolts and washers (stock) are supposed to look like??

I have heard of exhaust valves being damaged due to large exhaust leaks but not sure how long that takes to happen.Someone on here should know.

Back