installing a Quik-lock locking rear?

n8dgr8

I'm tring to install a Quick-Lock rear locking differential. Do I need to remove the axles all of the way the do this? and do I need a axle puller to do this? I have one piece axles on a model 20. I don't want to hear about the weak amc 20, or that I should have bought an different locker. Does anyone have a Quik-Lock how ya like it?

Never heard of the quik-lok, got any links?

I won't bash the AMC20, it's a pretty strong axle once you get 1-piece shafts in it. Came behind a lot of v8's.

You have to pull the shafts for every locker, at least enough so the shafts are out of the differential. You shouldn't need an axle puller, unbolt the shaft and slide it out a few inches to clear the diff.

Re: wanted 93-95 wrangler

I think the quick-lock uses the factory open carrier. I like that design, unless you are exceeding the torque capacity of the factory carrier. The AMC center section is actually pretty beefy and can stand up to qiute a bit. You shouldn't have any problems or complaints with that locker if it is the one I'm thinking of. You'll have to pull the shafts.

Guys thanks for the reply, You made me feel a little better about the model 20. I have a 350 powering the cj5. It said the Quik-Lock was made by genuine gear which I think is who makes Detroit Lockers? But now I have two conflicting answers, Junkpile says "pull the shafts" is that all of the way or can I get by without the puller and use the couple of inches I get from unbolting it from to tube? Also it mentiond about measuring backlash? thanks

If the instructions require measuring backlash it sounds like this locker replaces your entire diff carrier as opposed to being a lunchbox locker (only replacing the spiders).

You only need to pull the shafts out enough to clear the differential. I thought you could pull the 20 shafts out completely without a puller.

I searched the web and couldn't find this locker, do you know of a link or have any more info?

I am a little confuse just like Bounty? No saying you don't have what you say you do, I am just trying to figure out the type of locker you have.

Is it similar to the Lock Right autolockers wich I believe are also called Powertrax? the one that replaces the spider gears?

If you need to pull the shafts on a 20 rear, should be able to pull them all the way out by hand.

The quick lok is a private lable brand of the lock right. It is sold by 4wheel parts if I remember right. It is a center replacment. Drop the spiders and replace with the locker. The axles will need to pulled back about 3" so you can rebuild the center of the carrier inside the diff. It's pretty easy to install. It should not touch your backlash. Good luck

Thanks So much, And from what I can tell from different pictures or diagrams, yes it is the same as the Lock Rights and Power Trax. I ordered it on line for $240.00 and the shipphing did come from 4wheel parts. thanks for the help

Back