Tire recommendations for '04 TJ?

iowaboy

Hey guys. I just bought my first Jeep, and I looove it! First things first......I need bigger tires. I don't want HUGE ones, but just ones that look a little tougher than the stock ones and will get better traction on snow and mud. Someone said to get 30X9.5X15 Your thoughts? I'd like about 2 inches taller than the 225's. Thanks! :D

When I bought my 04 Jeep it had the 30 in tires on it. Looked like this:

image-missing.png

I bought 31x10.5x15s and now it looks like this:

image-missing.png

I'd go with the 31s.

Yes 31x10.50 will fit nicely. If you want wider you will rub unless you get different Back-spacing on the Rims.

Like so
image-missing.png

Cold Start Problems and Backfire from Weber Carb

L33, nice looking vehicle there. Those are some wild rims!

OK, if I go with the 31X10.5 tires, what brands do you recommend? How much should I expect to pay? How much higher up is my Jeep gonna sit? It's on 225X75R's right now. Thanks again fellas. :mrgreen:

ProComp MT's, BFG MT's, Kuhmo MT's, they're all pretty good. You'll get the most life out of the BFG.

Tire choice depends a lot on percentage onroad and off, and type of terrain you wheel in.

225x75 are 28's
31's are actually like 30.50 - 30.75

you will gain around 1.5" of height with the tires. Unless my math has been wrong all this time.

when I bought mine it has the awful super-stock car looking tires
image-missing.png

I then put 31x10.50 BFG ATs on 15x8's with 3.75 bs...this kicks the tires out slighlty, I like the look but without wider flares does send water and other elements (mud/rocks) straight up the side of the jeep...I don't have a problem with it, but some might
image-missing.png

(the second picture also includes a 2" coil spring spacer lift with new shocks)

Thanks for all the info, guys. I'll compare the 30's and the 31's side by side at the store and see which I like best. I'd like to go with mud tires, but I'll probably do the streeters......I'll be off-road only about 5- 10% of the time.

My girlfriend thinks that if I get taller tires, I'm gonna tip the beast over. I told her I'd have to TRY to tip it over, otherwise it won't flip. I'm right, aren't I?....Guys?.......Uh, guys? :roll:

31's aren't going to make enough difference to HELP you roll over. you are safe there. it is when you get REALY high that you start seeing problems. they include Lifts and BIG tires.

Cool, I'll tell her that. When she asks, "how the hell do you know that?" I'll just say, "well hon, L33 told me so." That oughtta shut her up! :lol:

Go with the 31", or you'll wish you had later. Then when you get inchitis and install that 2" budget boost it'll look more proportionate.

Back