'02 TJ - P 0442, P0455

jterp

I posted last week about my check engine light coming on in my '02 Tj and throwing the code 'P 0455' --- I read on the forum that it was the gas cap code-- i tightened the gas cap and drove around for 'a few normal driving cycles' -- light still on. Today I filled up the tank and made sure the cap was on tight -- light still on. I checked the codes again, now its throwing 'P 0442' and 'P 0455'

What is 'P 0442'? WHy would it still be throwing 'P 0455' if the cap is on tight?

Thanks in advance for your help!

could be a bad cap if that is what it really means... just because its tight doesn't mean its doing its job. (it is designed to maintain pressure as well)

hmmm also did u clear the codes after you made sure that the gas cap was tight? new cars are picky like that, i get gas cap problems at the time at work its a pain in the butt...

I dont think there is any way to 'clear the codes' on an '02 -- i think you need a special tool for that. Supposedly the codes will clear themselves after a 'few normal driving cycles' but no luck so far..

Anyone know what P 0442 is???? I've searched the forum but all the code info i have found has been for earlier TJ's ..

Sounds like i might have to take it to the stealer... :evil:

P0442 A small leak has been detected in the evaporative system
P0455 A large leak has been detected in the evaporative system

There ya go. Sounds like you should try another gas cap.

jeez... all of this nonsense over a gas cap? ... Does this seem as absurd to everyone else? I mean, how can a gas cap go bad? it's just a piece of plastic -- it's attached to the car so it can't even be dropped further than 4" !!! I made an appt to take it into the stealer thursday morning (it's under warranty still -- so might as well..) if they end up telling me it was just a gas cap :twisted:

stupid modern technology crap..

Hi, I've got the same problem with my 02 liberty (P0455). I've renewed the gas cap but it hasn't cured it. you reset the code by disconnecting the battery for about 20mins. I did this but the light came on again after a few days. I hope if you've cured the probleb you can let me know how you did it cos its driving me mad

Hi, I've got the same problem with my 02 liberty (P0455). I've renewed the gas cap but it hasn't cured it. you reset the code by disconnecting the battery for about 20mins. I did this but the light came on again after a few days. I hope if you've cured the probleb you can let me know how you did it cos its driving me mad
P0455(large Leak Detected) Emissions. Check all the vacuum hoses inside the engine compartment particularly the one that has a green cap on a tee connector. Look closely on the ends where they are attached to the fittings for minute cracks. Replace the ones you find faulty. Another place to check is on the EVAP. Canister located on the left rear spring area. It's a black plastic box with at least 2 large hoses attached to it. Check these hoses for cracks as well and replace them as nessesary. The PCM will run a test in 3 consecutive key ignitions from a cold startup. If all the evap test pass, the DTC will no longer set the ses lamp on. The battery disconnect will be the easy and quick option to extinguish the lamp. If when you cylcle the key on ,engine off and the ses lamp flashes, this means the pcm has a pending test to run. Also follow the lines from the evap canister to the leak detection pump and check those lines as well.

80c9a1c6-3.gif

Last edited:
Hey...... finally sorted out problem wiv warning light. a 6" piece of rubber hose from the tank to the evap cannister was split. replaced hose, reset light, light stayed out. many thanks to all who helped... BRIANC

Back