Zero rear brakes? 1998 Wrangler "Sahara"

aphelion

Hello,
here is the deal - Trying to troubleshoot why I have no rear brakes. How can I tell, well in snow or rain the anti lock front go into effect way too soon and while watching the rear wheels there is absolutely no lock up, they continue to turn no matter how hard I press on the brakes. If there was not the anti-lock I do not think it would be drivable in bad weather. Tried the emergency brake this does work. Could this be the proportioning valve or an ABS issue? I don't know. Any insight would greatly be appreciated, so I can narrow this down and get it resolved. Thank you. - Marty

I would start by bleeding the rear brakes to see if hydraulic fluid is even getting there. Gotta start simple and start at the wheel then work your way up the line to the brake booster. Get a Hayne's or Chilton manual to help you.

C

I would start by inspecting the rear drums. Take them off and see if you have any pads left. You shouldn't be having issues with the proportioning valve.

hmmmm i came to the point that mine had a bad proportioning valve, or metering valve, what ever you want to call it, i had shoes in the back and the drums were still brand new. had fluid, and was bled but i also dont have lock up in the rear but it wasnt that bad, it was still drivable..

Back