What RPM do y'all shift at?

The shift light on the monster tach is set at 6,200 :)

For the four popper crowd, I think(not very well sometimes.....) that the FI 2.5L makes max HP around 5,000rpm and max torque at maybe 3,500, so if you guys are looking for every bit of power that that little mill will make you need to get used to seeing that needle go a bit further before you shift.

Bad Jeep Dealer

I shift at different times depends on 3 things

1) what sorta mood im in.
2) what song I have in my head.
3) exactly where I am driving (Road or not?)

i'm with junkpile... the 4cyl engines are always safer to rev high... for two reasons... less parts inside to go wrong... each part is moving in a different direction at all times.. the less parts there are, the easier it is, and the lighter weight helps... reason 2: you HAVE TO rev them higher because of power issues and lower gears... when the engine was young, it was likely broked in better and the rings were likely seated better with higher rpms than a 6 cyl would have been... if an engine is broken in at higher rpms, its later life will be much safer at higher speeds than otherwise

I noticed yesterday driving around that my shift light comes on in every gear (inc 5th) at 1800 RPM's. Thats crazy!!! I shift around 2300 to 2600.

it even comes on in reverse... i'll be installing R2 so i can shift when it suggests

You guys would kill me then. I am trying to make my engine give up and die. On the interstate, just to see how fast it can go, I drop it to third and floor it. Can you say redline for 30-40 seconds. You think your Jeep is slow? Try it, you'll see getting up to 80 wont take long.

If only I didnt have that stupid light bar, I might be able to go faster.

You know there has never been a time when I used a tac to know any thing but at what rpm I was running. Like Jason said shift when it feels right. Here as of late I have been driven a 425 hp Cummings Desil with a Ten speed transmission with over drive in heavy traffic. Would hate to even think of looking to see where the thing was tacing to know what to do next. Oh yea for the folks that has been here Bailey Hollar is a blast in a 14 wheel Dump Truck " Taken dirt off the very top! tug

I shift the same as hi_c. And, when I'm in 4th, I never go over 3,000 RPM's; But then again, my Jeep doesn't go fast enough for it to get that high

Ya know, today was the first time I really checked to see what I shift at with my 33's and 4.11's.Turns out, when I pull out of my driveway and get it a going from firtst to second I went up to 3100,from second to third 2900.Either I felt like getting on it and beating on it, or I just have a habit of shifting at high RPM's.Oh yea, and the red line on my CJ7(or should I say white line) is 5000.

first to second... i'm always getting up near 3k... but when i first got it... it was uncommon for me to even reach 2k

:D I remember having this question in my head. This Jeep is my first stick shift. 4Cyl 2.4L I shift at 3 exactly, when it starts to whine. I tried lower like 2.5 where it is quieter, but mine struggles alot when done that way. 3 is perfect.

BTW, I have a new jeep too and never had that light at all. ODD I think I'm glad though after reading this. lol

Lady

Wow, you all shift at pretty high RMP's I barely get to 2,000 RPM's . Forget about 3,500! like some of you all do it. Maybe our Jeeps are set up differently due to location? Probably.-al

Revolver Shackles???

they are all broken in differently.... ones broken in at higher rpms will be more stable at higher rpms later in their life.. and will not whine until a higher rpm

Back