SUBMERGED JEEP

jeepaholic46

I have a 2000 JEEP! wrangler. It has the 2.5 four cylinder and manual transmission. Long story short, the parking brake was set and the vehicle left running on a boat ramp while putting in the boat. A buddy accidentally hit the parking brake and the JEEP! rolled into the lake while running. It was completely submerged for about 30 mins. I do know the engine is hydrolocked. My intention is to replace the engine with a six cylinder. What else do I need to repair or look for in my "restoration"? Also does anyone know where can I find written information specifically for this?

I'm a novice, but i know if H2O gets into your

front diff
transmission
tcase
rear diff

you need to flush and replace all fluids.

you'll probably need a new stereo too.
j/k........ I hope the restore goes well.

swapping a 6 cyl is no easier than swapping a v8... so you might as well go big if you are gonna go at all... still have to change the motor mounts, transmission, drive shaft(s), computer, dash components, bla bla bla, and everything associated with a different sized engine

Dry out the 4 banger and clean it up real good and then trade it for a different jeep with a 6 i that is what you want. I love a 4 banger myself and hate to see one get dumped for a bigger engin when there is so many jeeps already to go in the worl with the 6 from the factory. tug

It would cost you way too much money to do the swap. I agree with Tug. If you don't like the 4 banger, dump it, and get yourself a Jeep with an I6.

BTW, check to see if there are any TSB's or recalls on your ebrake system. If so, you might get DC to pick up the bill. -al

I had pretty much the same thing happen with my Toyota 4x4 back in '88. It was submerged only up to the windshield, and apparently the carb and breather were still out of the water. I managed to drive it back out under power. I did go through all the rear end, diffs, transmission, etc. and flushed and replaced the fluid, repacked wheel bearings, etc. Even had to drop the gas tank and flush and clean it. I've got a 4-banger in my Jeep, and though the 6 would be nice for the highway, I'd still rather keep the 4 for the off-roading. I'm just amazed at the torque in that little 4-banger and how it'll pull straight up a wall in 4-low at an idle without ever touching the gas!!! My old Toy had a 4-banger, but it wouldn't pull like that!

Dude dump that jeep. You will have electrical trouble for the life of the vehicle. Insurance companies generally total any vehicle that goes in over the dash

I agree dump the jeep get a new one. Most of your wiring will start coroding, your computer should be fried.

BTW, check to see if there are any TSB's or recalls on your ebrake system. If so, you might get DC to pick up the bill. -al

I had a recall on my ebrake on a 2002 TJ, had problems staying on hills with just the ebrake pulled. they would always give..if ya didn't get that recall fixed..have jeep pay for it.

I am pretty sure that they will tell you that you should have had it off and in gear. Drum breaks are made to stop the vehicle going forward not backword. The shoes are directional. I am sure they will quote something in the manual saying like always leave your vehicle in first gear or reverse with the parking brake on when leaving vehicle. If you do have the recal you may be able to get the reginal manager to help a little but leaving it running with only the parking brake on and a trailer hooked to it is not good.

Got insurance? File a comp claim, they will total it Trust me (I'm an adjuster) and start over, find a 4.0 and be done with that one. You will no doubt have electrical problems as long as you own it. Maybe not right away but they will creep up on you. Ive seen it too many time when I try to repair a "flood" vehicle. Though fresh water is better than going into salt. Either way, claim it and the insurance co will be resp if they do try and fix it if you have problems down the road. Sorry for the long reply.

I've put an 88 Ford F-250 all the way into a lake. I did everything I could to salvage it but ended up with lots of trouble. Take some advice from those that have been down this road & get rid of it at whatever the cost. Ít's not worth keeping. SERIOUSLY!

thats nice, sell it to some poor kid looking for a deal. So replace the wirring harness. Not that hard to restore a classic.. hey your already past the body work and trying to find 40 year old parts :)

First of all... bad idea leaving the motor running while only several feet away from the most destructive force on the planet. Water! Go the insurance route. Unless you have another vehicle to drive while you do the v8 swap and the Jeep is purely recreational, it's not gonna be worth it. That 2000 TJ should still fetch you about $7K or $8K with the insurance.

C

Like I said sell it at what ever the cost! You don't have to be dishonest about selling a totaled automobile. Give a poor kid a good deal & let him do the work. I've been the poor kid that tried it & I learned it's not worth it but thats' just "my opinion".

If the insurance totals it it will go to a salvage yard and noone will have to deal with your problem, except for those of us who buy that sweet 4.0 to put in place of our 2.5.

1986 CJ-7 stock Dana 44

But his was a 2.5L, if it goes to an auction yard like where I send all my totals someone will scoop it up and then wish they never did. I dont think he has checked back yet either. Hmmmmmm....

Back