Body Bolt

Neia

I have a body bolt that WILL NOT BUDGE. We took off the body last weekend, and had to just cut that part of the body out and leave it attached to the frame. Any suggestions on what to use to get it off??? I used Liqued Wrench, BP, and and impact wrench but it doesn't want to let go. HELP!!!

Heat? Torch it! That will get it out. Drilling will be your last resort.-al

Heat the metal or nut around the bolt. It will expand then you can back the bolt out.
If not turn the regulator up on your impact, if that doesn't work then get a 6 foot cheater pipe, if that doesn't work then drill and tap.

We just took the body bolts out of my YJ today (about an hour ago) except for the one I snapped up inside the body. I soaked all the body mount bolts with liquid wrench overnight. Then took an air chisel with a hammer head on it and pounded the hell out of em all. They all came out pretty easily with an impact gun...wouldn't budge the other day when I tried with just an impact gun only. Now I just have to figure out how I'm gonna get that one broken bolt out.

PB blaster does work really good you just need to give it time to work. About a month ago I lifted my jeep replacing the leaf springs. My jeep is and 82 and they were the factory springs. I Live in PA so you can amagine the rust. A week before I was going to do it before I left in the morning and when I got back a gave the ubolts a quick spray with PB blaster. When the time came to take it apart the nuts came right off. I have been doing that lately anytime I know I am going to have to replace something that is rusted and it has always worked.

and you CAN get PB blaster up in the body to the bolts... most, or all body bolts are near a hole so you can access it with penetrant... and if there are any that are not near a hole.... use that spinny-spiral-cutty-twirly machine to make a hole... you MAY have to apply some blaster every morning for a week... you'll notice that they will come loose.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a grinder. It took about 30 seconds and a nice spark shower. Came right off. I've already used it for a ton of other things. Thanks again...

Neia

Back