Rubicon Express 2" budget boost & Goodyear MTR

BigScott

I have a 98 wrangler it is an everyday ride. I want a lift to put the 31" tires on but don't want anything major. I am asking if you all think the lift mentioned in the title is a good selection for an everyday drive and what do you think about the Goodyear MTR. Any other suggestions you might have also. The money side of it for the lift is important. I don't want to have to sell my kidney on e-bay to afford it. I take it off road every now and then but nothing major I just enjoy getting out on the trails. (my 30" are fine for the trails I ride but there are a few more I would like to go on and the 31" with the lift would allow that) Basically I don't want to sacrifice longevity of the jeep for a lift and don't care anything about lowering the transfer case and so on and so on. Just plain and simple not hardcore. Thank you for any help.

Keep it stock- I have been for years now. Anything breaks its just a auto part store away.
Tires- MTR Bling! Get some getto brand ( Iam currently running Mud Kings)
Get Lockers, Since your tires will be small enough to keep the stock axles.
A tj locked on both ends will go further then a tj on 31s.
Ya, plain and simple is the only way to go. ( some people have money to burn)

transmissions

remember that movie "My couisin vinny" ? One wheel spun in the mud.
Well when you install a "locker" it makes both wheels spin. Big diffrence with both wheels getting power. So now when your in 4wd you only get 2 wheels that actually push/pull the jeep. Locked would make all the wheels move, All 4.
Real 4wd.

31's will fit your jeep stock woth no problems.MTR's are great and all, but they dont last as long like most tires.If you plan on running rocks, then go for it!

If you have a locker in say your rear axle, instead of 1 wheel spinning under load or when flexing, both wheels will spin under no matter what kind of load, this gives you great traction and opens up so many trails with just the rear end locked.Makes the tough trails a little easier.

yeah, you can fit 31"ers now... but if you want to go with a budget boost, go right ahead, it is a very simple, cheap, and efficient way to get about 2" higher. If you are just going moderate trail riding, a locker may not be in your budget... you will want a soft locker which will allow your differential to unlock around turns and such. Most moderate offroaders don't use a locker if they use their vehicle as a daily driver.

i know a few people with tj's. one has a 2" lift from BDS. and the other is my roommate, he's had 31's on there for a while, but is going to be installing the Rubicon Express 2" budget lift on it this friday. if you dont take it off road, you wont have any problems with 31's. but if you plan on going off roading, you'll probably get some rubbing with 31's and no lift. so if you want bigger tires regardless and want to off road, go with the 2". otherwise listen to white.

Scott,

I'm putting the 2" RE Spacer lift(ran me about 200) on my TJ with 31" MT's tomorrow and i'm going muddin saturday. I'll post some pics and let you know how it goes.

Back