electric short ?

pushead

I have a new short that is causing me grief. My jeep wont start now. My battery has a full charge but when I turn the key the dash lights are dimed and my rig wont crank. Its a 88yj IL6.

What I did notice that is strange. The factory clock will keep ticking away until I activate any kind of power. If I hit my break pedal it stops, turn the ignition key on it stops, flip the headlight switch it will stop. So I figure some where these all must connect and that may be where my short is.

Any suggestions?

My jeep needs some help

I got a few Idea's. First I got a question. When you say you turn the key and the lights Dim, do they completely go out or do they just get dimmer but stay on? You have to start with the most simple solution first becuase if that is the case you might just need to clean the battery terminals. The next possibility is the battery has a bad cell. It can read over 12 volts but as soon as a load is put on it, it can drop way down. You can try to jump start it with another car. And see is that makes a difference. If it does start then you might want to go to an autopart store like Autozone or Advanced and have them check your battery. If that doesn't work the starter itself could be bad. Let us know what you find out.

I too would start with the battery....alot of times it will read that it's full until a load is put on it.....have a friend check it with a meter while you try to turn it over.

Sounds like a dead battery to me. Question is, is it not getting properly charged or is it just the battery? If you can, jump start the Jeep test the voltage across the battery with it running.

metal or fiberglass cj fenders?

Easiest and best way to find out if the batter is bad is take it to a parts store (eg. Autozone, O'reileys...) and have them check it. It is free, and accurate. Al they do is charge it up if it is low, and then they do a load test on it. If there is a bad cell on the battery, it will indicate it. If the battery is good, then you need to find out why it went dead. Start off with getting the alternator checked. They will also do it for you at AZ for free. You won't even have to take it off the Jeep so they can check it. They do it right on there. If the battery is fully charged and good, then take a look at the starter. Chances are that it will be your problem. If you do buy a part at AZ, have them check it BEFORE you guy it. I actually got a dud starter, and it was a real pain in the A$$ to have to troubleshoot my entire electrical system and end up with a bad replacement part.-al

battery tested 100% charged and good. I tried to cross the leads on the starter and got a small spark but no turning action. Looks like it may be the problem.

Pull it out and get it checked. AZ will do it. The starter is very easy to get checked. Like I said before, have the auto parts store check the new starter before you leave the store. -al

Turned out to be the starter solinoid. I took the starter off brought it to the zone and it tested fine. When I went to put it back on I noticed the connection for the igintion wire on the solinoid was hanging free. Changed it out and all is good so far.

Back