Going to test my fabricating skills...

redrooster

My old CJ wants some half hard doors.
I have some old full hard doors for an early CJ7 that latch on the body with the old "J" handle. I have been studying these and it seems to be the only CJ door that you can cut to make a half door. The other CJ "paddle" handle doors have the handle too high to cut. Plus they require a door mounted striker to be installed.
I put the doors on there last night and started taking some measurements. It looks like I will be able to cut the doors level with the side rails and still retain the latch mechanism.
When I cut them I will plate the inside with aluminum and brush it to match the dash and rocker panels.
Now the fun part will be capping them off and making an arm rest on the top edge. I thought about permanently capping them and mounting speakers in the door, then decided that maybe I would hinge the cap and use the interior of the door for strap storage.
What do you think? Go for the extra storage or the speakers?

That sounds like a pretty good plan you got there. Be sure to show the pictures of the finished product!! If you install speakers, then you won't have them if/when you take your doors off-- just something to consider.

I have one set of speakers behind the seats, but another set would be nice. The reason for the metal doors is for added protection against rocks trying to join me in the seat. I have a set of soft half doors and ride every time with them. I rarely ride without half doors.
So are you guys saying takethe speakers over the strap storage?

I would say go with wich ever one you would rather have. Both, in my opinion, would be equally nice to have! All I was saying about the speakers before is that if you remove the doors, then you wont have those speakers to listen to, but if you already have speakers, that's really no big deal.

Half steel doors would be nice, wouldn't they!!

Both storage and speakers would be nice to have... How do you currently store your straps, and do you need the extra storage? If you don't need the extra storage, then I would say go with the speakers. Since you rarely ride without half doors, then you would rarely be without your speakers.... but then, if you rode without your doors, you are without your storage too, so no advantage either way there....

I guess it would come down to your "need" for more storage, but both are great ideas.

5 Brand New Interco Trxus M/T 265/75x16

I currently have the straps bungee corded to my floor cage. They stay within reach while driving. I thought the storage would be extra cool, especially since I have never seen anyone do that.
I guess once I get the doors cut off I can better assess the situation. I may be able to do both by fabricating a box around where the speaker will mount. That will keep the straps off of the speakers and may help keep dirt and such off of them.
Anyone ever used Marine grade speakers? Are they worth having soundwise?

go both.... if you just box off a small section for say, a 6 1/2, then use the rest for storage.... it wouldnt be quite as much storage space, but enough for straps and such maybe

Nathan

I think that you would be able to fit both of them in there. As far as marine grade speakers, they are definately worth getting in a Jeep. While they are a little more spendy, they can take all the water and mud that you throw at them. If you were to put in regular speakers, you just have to be careful about getting them TOO wet. But ya...I think some 6 1/2, or whatever you want, would fit in there, along with enough storage space left over.

I'm thinking both. Do the driver's side speaker, so you can have one, and the passenger side storage. It's pretty ghetto, but you have the best of both worlds then.
Come on Merkl. You know that ain't gonna happen. I didn't build this thing in the parking lot of Autozone. It'll be done right or not at all.

redrooster said:
I'm thinking both. Do the driver's side speaker, so you can have one, and the passenger side storage. It's pretty ghetto, but you have the best of both worlds then.
Come on Merkl. You know that ain't gonna happen. I didn't build this thing in the parking lot of Autozone. It'll be done right or not at all.
LOL :lol: while you're at autozone be sure to get some of those clear tailight lenses and a chrome exhaust tip.

Maybe some light up valve stem caps and a Crown shaped air freshener.

Back