Cheap YJ

TwistedCU

I might be picking up a YJ. It's leaking at the rear main seal and badly. I think it's an 87 with the 6 cyl, 5 sp. Pretty rough but a good project for a trail rig at $500 :wink: . I haven't seen it for about a year, and am going to check it out this week. It may be a candidate for a whole new drivetrain but we'll see. I'll bring my digital camera.

Wheres it located?

When I turned 16 my dad got me an old 84 CJ7 and we redid everything... my brother's 15 and he needs a project with my dad too...

let me know more details!

JeepGirl9248 said:
Wheres it located?

When I turned 16 my dad got me an old 84 CJ7 and we redid everything... my brother's 15 and he needs a project with my dad too...

let me know more details!

This one's going to be a project for me and my son. If for some reason I pass on it I'll send you contact info.

Bounty Hunter said:
The leaky mainseal could be as easy to fix as just fixing the PCV system.

Maybe it would have, but the guy has it all apart and I'm not confident he's going to get it back together right. He says he can't fix the seal because it is "baked on and he cant get the top half of the old one off" :? . I figure I'll just get it up to the house in PA and start on it after the move and start from scratch. As far as I'm concerned if we can get it right, great, but if not I wouldn't mind doing an engine swap, either. I was looking for a project and it looks like this one will certainly be one.

may have to drop the crank to get there but for 500 bones its def. worth it!

TwistedCopper said:
I might be picking up a YJ. It's leaking at the rear main seal and badly. I think it's an 87 with the 6 cyl, 5 sp. Pretty rough but a good project for a trail rig at $500 :wink: . I haven't seen it for about a year, and am going to check it out this week. It may be a candidate for a whole new drivetrain but we'll see. I'll bring my digital camera.

Doing the rear main is a major pain. Did mine with my dad and it is not fun. Once it was done though, my jeep has never leaked a drop again!(no its not empty, I already checked)

Looks like I may be a week away from owning this rig. The guy has to put the motor back together and that's about it. I hope it will make the drive up to PA!!! If not I'm a AAA member :wink:

Haha, your already going to trust it to drive up to paragon?

2 Jeeps for sale. Ut.

Hey LVRockCrawler I don't recommend using your cat for a wheel chock! LOL!

parts from 82 cj7

Sully -
No not paragon, at least not until I get it ready. I'm moving to PA this year, and I'm going to bring the Jeep up there where I have the room for it.

If it is an '87 with I-6 it is the AMC 258 six with the HORRIBLE carb
(carter ?) the one no one could keep in tune and hard to pass emmisions testing.

Make plans to junk the I-6 as soon as possible.

I like the drive train in the current Tj models. it is the same as the last years of the XJ's.

I found a 2 yr old Xj which had rolled and had the top flattened. The wrecking yard man told me $3000 would take the entire truck what with 27,000mi on the od.

Look about.

ALSO,
the GM 350 is a good power upgrade. They litter every wrecking yard in America.

They come cheap, There are thousands of power upgrade parts available for mostly cheap and they kick ass on the trail.

Why replace the AMC six with a GM 350 just because it has a Carter carb? Wouldn't it be a lot easier (and cheaper) to replace the carb with a Weber or Motorcraft like so many others have done instead of swapping out entire drive trains? Sounds like a good deal to me, Twisted. If a Jeep runs, and some that don't, it's worth at least $500. You could get more than that out of it just parting it out. But it is much better to build it up!

Tell the owner to spray some Fel Pro Gasket Remover on that baked on seal. That stuff is like oven cleaner on steroids. It will eat it off of there in just a few minutes. Be careful though, it will make your skin burn and feel like ant bites if you get some overspray on your arms or face.

Back