cost of 4.10 or 4.88?

rtoney9

I am going to get a 2" or 2.5" lift on my 95 YJ, and want to know how much is it going to cost me to buy new gears for it. I was told that if I decided to get 32" or bigger tires then I would need to purchase 4.88 gears.(she is a 4 banger) I will not be lifting it until the summer 2003, but I am trying to get it all planned out so that when I am ready to buy everything to complete the project, I will know exactly what all I need. Also can someone give me some information on degree shims! what are they, and are they necessary with a 2.5" lift with about 31-32" tires.[addsig]

very cool you are planning this out...

gears front and rear approxmitly(sp?) $400-$500 [addsig]

I have a guy in TX that will put in any gear option, all bearings and seals, do the job right for $500 per axel. I'm sure he's a little high priced, but that's what people down here are charging to do it for you.[addsig]

thanks for the info. what about the degree shims? necessary or not. what is their purpose anyway?[addsig]

which is the better gears to buy? 4.10 or 4.88 and what makes one better than the other.[addsig]

If you know what you want to do w/ the jeep than the gears make all the differnce...all the power in the world means nothin ...gears and lockers..r the first things to figure out ...I run 4.10's on my cj-7...and have limited slip front and back ...I have no problems getting anywhere ...(my tires dont spin).. I have a v6 4.3 chevy ...But my 1st gear of 6.34 helps alot ...this set-up is the best compromise between a 80mph daily-driver & a off-road vehicle that can handle rocks/mud etc...[addsig]

toney,

the degree shims go between the axle and the spring pack. They look like a wedge...cause that's what they are. they point the front of the rear axle up to lessen the angle of the driveshaft from the xfer case to the axle. This along with a transfer case drop is an inexpensive way of getting around a slip-yoke eliminator kit & cv driveshaft. If you were getting a 4" lift, get the slip-yoke & cv driveshaft.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

thanks for the info guys. It helps me out alot. good luck with all your future mods to the Jeeps.[addsig]

Back