Steering Wheel off Center

BostonJeep

So after i did my 3.5" suspension lift on my 95 YJ, and before installing my pitman arm, i got an allignment.

The only reason i did this was because i broke two pitman arm pullers trying to get it off and needed to wait to bring it to another shop before i could get that on. But i had it in a tire place to pass inspection so figured i'd get it done anyways. besides, the guy that did my alignment, said i could replace the pitman arm later without affecting the alignment "because it only goes on one way"..

But anyways, after the lift and before the alignment, my Steering wheel was about 90 degrees off from center, clockwise...., and after the alignment it was dead center again. I'm pretty sure he wasnt supposed to straighten it because when i finally got around to getting the new dropped pitman arm on it is now off by 90 degrees from center in the other direction.

My two questions are:
Will the dropped pitman arm affect my alignment?

Is it easy to center my steering wheel on my own, with out affecting allignment? If so, how?

The dropped pitman arm will not affect your alignment. The offcenter steering wheel is due to the dropped pitman arm being put on the steering box shaft wrong. When the guy said "it can only go on one way" he meant it can go on 4 ways. If you look at the teeth on the pitman arm where it hooks up to the steering box shaft there are little teeth around it with 4 larger teeth equadistant from each other or one on each "corner". Once the pitman arm is taken off you can turn the steering wheel all the live long day, no limits. So if the steering wheel is not centered inside the jeep when the new pitman arm is put on, then the steering wheel center will be off in 90 degree increments... the larger teeth.

To fix ithis take the dropped pitman arm off the steering box, center the steering wheel in the jeep and secure it in place, put the dropped pitman arm back on the steering box shaft. I have heard that on lifted vehicles the steering wheel center can change because of the increased play in the front steering componets. I've yet to see mine change since I got mine fixed but thats a good thing. I hope this helps!

Joop

to adjust this.... change the length of your drag link by loosening the locks on it and turning it either forward or back with a pipe wrench... your alignment will not suffer unless you adjust the ends on the tie rod

Joopin said:
The offcenter steering wheel is due to the dropped pitman arm being put on the steering box shaft wrong. When the guy said "it can only go on one way" he meant it can go on 4 ways. If you look at the teeth on the pitman arm where it hooks up to the steering box shaft there are little teeth around it with 4 larger teeth equadistant from each other or one on each "corner". Once the pitman arm is taken off you can turn the steering wheel all the live long day, no limits. So if the steering wheel is not centered inside the jeep when the new pitman arm is put on, then the steering wheel center will be off in 90 degree increments... the larger teeth.

To fix ithis take the dropped pitman arm off the steering box, center the steering wheel in the jeep and secure it in place, put the dropped pitman arm back on the steering box shaft. I have heard that on lifted vehicles the steering wheel center can change because of the increased play in the front steering componets. I've yet to see mine change since I got mine fixed but thats a good thing. I hope this helps!

Joop
The pitman arm can only go on 'one way'. It has fine splines all the way around except for one 1/4" wide space on the shaft, that lines up with the pitman arm.

The steering wheel is offcenter because of the added lift, making the passenger side steering knuckle further from the steering box. This is easily corrected by lengthening the draglink, without affecting alignment.

The steering wheel is easily recentered after installing the drop pitman arm by shortening the draglink. Just loosen the clamps on each end of the draglink and turn the center section with a pipe wrench, one direction will shorten it and the other direction will lengthen it. Do not disconnect the tierod ends when doing this.

Bounty__Hunter said:
The pitman arm can only go on 'one way'. It has fine splines all the way around except for one 1/4" wide space on the shaft, that lines up with the pitman arm.

The steering wheel is offcenter because of the added lift, making the passenger side steering knuckle further from the steering box. This is easily corrected by lengthening the draglink, without affecting alignment.

The steering wheel is easily recentered after installing the drop pitman arm by shortening the draglink. Just loosen the clamps on each end of the draglink and turn the center section with a pipe wrench, one direction will shorten it and the other direction will lengthen it. Do not disconnect the tierod ends when doing this.

Well either I have a different steering box shaft or I am completly wrong on this matter.

"Disclaimer: I'm right unless I'm wrong."
There, that should clear things up.

I'll have to double check the splines too, but you never correct steering by moving the pitman arm on the steering box unless it was installed incorrectly, which is highly unlikely.

i wasn't aware that it could go on wrong... i am thinking there is a key spline in it to keep that from happening

All pitman arms that I have seen can only go on one way. Like bounty said they are splined all the way around then have one extra big key on one side. There is no way to mess that up even with a 50 ton press.
I would suggest centering the tires, not the steering wheel, then turn the key to unlock the steering wheel and adjust the drag link as mentioned above until the steering wheel is centered. Then get in and crank it up and see if it steers in equal turns right and left. Next, get your happy butt back out and tighten the drag link adjuster. Finally, go drink a cold beer for learning something new for the day.

Painting my Rubicon!

Once the pitman arm is taken off you can turn the steering wheel all the live long day, no limits.

Be carefull! If your ride is aribag equiped then there is limits. By doing this you will cause the clock spring to turn past its limits and that is not a good thing. I know that joopin is not suggesting for anyone to do this. I just wantes to post a warning for the D.I.Y. on here.

by drag link do you mean the shaft that the pitman arm attaches to that goes to the steering knuckle. I always thought both those bars up there were tie rods.......

wm69 said:
by drag link do you mean the shaft that the pitman arm attaches to that goes to the steering knuckle. I always thought both those bars up there were tie rods.......
Draglink connects the pitman arm to the tierod. Tierod connects the two steering knuckles, hence the 'tie' part of tierod.

No airbag or clockspring on a YJ, thank goodness. Those things belong in cars ;)

Back