Wrangler won't idle

NeilFrisch

1988 six cylinder carbureted Wrangler, 5 speed. Starts but will not idle. Can drive but every time it tries to idle down it stalls. There is a hose off the carburetor that based on diagrams is supposed to go to the evaporative canister...however I cannot find the canister...book says it is supposed to be on passenger side of manifold...I don't see anything. To be honest I don't know if it was ever attached to anything. I had to replace catalytic and exhaust system...haven't been able to get it to run consistently since. It also has the "pulse air" system. I wonder if this can be the issue. Any comments will be appreciated regarding carburetor connection or what might be messing up the idle.

Also, cannot locate the fuel filter. Not the original owner...there is a rumor the engine was replaced in the vehicle. Thanks

How many miles?

Sounds like most other Carter carbs, and the problem is usually best fixed with a swap to a Motorcraft 2150 carb.

Oh Well, the six banger that has 115,000 miles is knocking.

Yep. Thats what I did to fix a similar problem on my previous 89 YJ. Worked like a charm. I would adjust the Carter and within a week it would return to dying at every red light/stop sign.

Back