YJ tub or replace cj?

greengeeker

I am at that point in my project. I need to decide if I should pick up an OEM Yj tub on ebay for $400-900 and modify to fit my cj...or should I order a new replacement cj tub? I've heard these replacement tubs arent any good and can even rust under the paint. Also, how is the fit between hood and Yj fenders? Thanks for any input. -Nick

Not sure about the quality of the aftermarket steel tubs, or the fiberglass ones for that matter, I do know that they will not have the jeep stamped into the side. I did notice that they are starting to stamp the replacement tailgates though. There are some aluminum and stainless tubs out there if you have the money. I put an 88 yj tub on my 79 cj7 and lined up pretty good with my fenders. You will need to make some modes to the frame though cause not all the body mounts match up. Also had to have the defroster vents modified to match up with my cj hardware. Lets see what else....if you're going to use the same tailgate, then of course you will have to weld in the supports for the cable and add some bolts on the body for the hinges. The gas filler locating will also have to be moved. Then just fill in all the extra holes on the back. good luck!

The same amount of work might need to be invested into both fixing you current tub and putting a YJ tub on there, I thing you need to move four of the body mounts. an aftermarket fiberglass unit might be the best alternative or find a used CJ tub in good shape!

I put a 95 wrangler tub on my 85 cj frame....best thing i ever did...i highly recommend it. Cj tubs have weak sides and are twice as likely to rot out then yj. As for little mods: definetly worth the time. I ended up having to rebuild the body mount perches anyway so that wasn't a big deal....as for the gas filler...i invested in a fuel cell....most 20 gallon cells fit perfect in the trunk area....mine did and i still run with a back seat....good luck!

Back