Transfer case/ gearing problems

93bizzleYJ

So what I thought was a noise coming from my transmission. (the noise is a grinding/spinning noise coming from right underneath my seats when I push the clutch in at high speeds) turns out my mechanic said it was either the transfer case or the gears. So the question is, what should I do about it, if transfer case and/or gearing needs to be replaced I will definatly upgrade the gearing so I can run my 33s better.

Is this something that someone could help me install or should I just bring it to a shop and bite the bullet on the costs, (if anyone knows about how much this would cost)

any help would be great on figuring out what to do next.

Thanks

-Brian

I'm getting my jeep regeared front and rear next week. I was quoted 500 in labor for both axles. HTH

I have a service contract that will cover parts/labor for my transfer case I know, and it says it covers some parts of the axle but I am not sure if this would include gears, can someone tell me if they think gears would fall under this catagory:

"Front and rear axle, axle housing and all internal lubricated parts. Drive shaft, universal joints, constant velocity joints (including the CV Boot), transfer case and all internal lubricated parts on four wheel drive vehicles. Seals and gaskets are covered only in conjunction with a covered repair."

So in that description do you think that all internal parts includes gears in the axles?

Brian

93bizzleYJ said:
axle housing and all internal lubricated parts.
I would say that would be considered gears. But I don't know if they would let you upgrade them or you would have to stick to the ratio in there now.

Helps to know the guy that is doing the work...i'm gonna have him list out the regular parts and prices on the warranty claim and then just buy the new gears and pay the difference on them. What the warranty company doesnt know doesnt hurt them, not like they will have to shell out more for the new gears, just convienent for me to be able to get all new gears and a transfer case hopefully with free labor and most of the parts covered.

These warranty deals are great, if you ever buy a used car ask about a used car warranty. I have used it once and already made my money back on it. It was like 200 bucks or so for a 1 year 12k mile warranty that covers pretty much the engine, electrical, axels, suspension (if it breaks) and a bunch of other stuff. And I usually end up making 20 or 30 bucks on the repair based on how my mechanic details the invoice.

Back