1973 super jeep id and '77 swap

Lance

I have just received (long story) a 1973 Cj5 “Super Jeep” (limited production in ’73 with some special mods). It was garage kept for 25 years and looks like it came right off the showroom floor (3000k original road miles, the engine paint isn’t even darkened!).
I cannot find out if it is a collector’s item or simply "another '73" as on Jeep dealer put it. Do you know if a “Super Jeep” of this type is a collector’s item? I can’t find any info about it. Any idea what it is worth? Should I call Jay Leno? This model is red, white and blue on a pearl white base.

Do you know anything about this Jeep? If it not worth more than a new body then here is my dilemma.

I also have a 77 Cj5 that I have driven and modified since ’78. It has a Ford T18 transmission, Dana 20 transfer case, full floating solid axel model 20 rear with trac lock and a Dana 30 with posi-track up front, and a 41/2” soft-ride spring lift. This year I was intending to check the frame and replace the body. Also, I need overdrive and was considering a Dana 18 swap, but am concerned about the “noise” factor (What do you think of this swap?) I have already built a 350 “torquer” to replace my tired 304. At this stage, I am going to rebuild with a very carefully selected list of aftermarket mods.

So, should I cannibalize the ’77 and transfer everything to the 73, effectively making a modified 77 with a 73 frame and body?

Or

Cannibalize the 73 by taking the body and possibly the 44 rear end and transferring them to the 77 frame?

Lance

A Super Jeep? Wow. Yes, they are collectible. The problem is finding a Jeep enthusiast that appreciates that sort of thing. I do. The influence of AMC can be seen in the Super Jeep more than in just about anything they made after 1970. The red, white, and blue "War Paint", and the outrageous styling reminds me of cars like the SC/Rambler and SS AMX. That, plus the fact that alot of people consider the 72-75 CJ5 to be what a Jeep SHOULD be, makes it it seem like it should be one of the most collectible. I wouldn't mess with it, chances are, if you just hold on to it and keep it in good shape somebody is going to be willing to pay good money for that thing one day. I've seen lots of early 70s CJ5s sell in my area for $7,500+ in good shape. Down here where things start rusting before they leave the dealership, those Jeeps are getting hard to find.

The D18 is a step backwards. They're noisy, they require an offset rear differential, and they have more of a tendency to grenade under power than a straight through design like the D20 or D300. The overdrives that become available through the use of the D18 are a very good upgrade for a four cylinder flat fender on small tires, but they won't hold up to heavy use behind a V8.

Will This Disconnect Fit My TJ?

I don't know that much about what Jeeps are collectable but it sure sounds like you have found something special. I don't think I would be able to change anything on it. If it is as nice as you say then it is a very rare find indeed. I would bet money that someone out there is willing to pay a fair amount for it. If you don't want it the way it is then may I sugest selling it. Then you would have the money to get what you wanted. And there would be one more pristine Super Jeep left in this world for outhers to enjoy.

The Super Jeep was offered for the 1973 model year. Super Jeeps were equipped with 258 6 cylinder engine, special seats, and chrome bumpers to name a few features.
image-missing.png

Yeah sure does, Super Dave would dig it for sure, maybe that's where there arent too many of them driving around... I think that this is the quintessential 70's jeep package, though the rims are kinda uninspired. I think it predates them, but to me it screams for some turbine mags with white painted inserts and redwall tires

Oh, and I personally would leave it intact since its only got 3000 miles on it and is showroom fresh, plenty of beaters out there to chop up

Call Barret Jackson auto search and put it on their auction. It will bring a lot more than what you would think it was worthespecially if it nly has 3000 miles and is all original.

Back