comman trac part time 4 wheel drive

I bought a 95 YJ recently with the archaic command trac system in place of 4 high. The other day on a lark I engaged it to see if and when it would kick into 4 wheel drive. Didn't really notice anything except that when I turn, it has a pronounced wobble to it and during really slow turns the steering wheel starts to jerk. It doesn't do it in 4 low or regular 2 wheel drive. I'm wondering if anybody on here has ever had similar problems or if this just occurs from a combination of universal joints and acute angles in the front axle, though if that were the case, it should happen in 4 low also. I don't know much about the command trac system though, so maybe I'm missing something.

[addsig]

Hi there "californiajeepin!"

I had the same problem with my '88 YJ Sahara. I had all the things you listed

plus a little rattling or clanging when I turned the wheel while in 4wd.

I replaced the front "U-JOINTS" and never had a problem since!

I also have a '97 XJ sport and the steeringwheel was jerking like you described, and the

problem there was that the front driveshaft "U-JOINT" was bound up on me.

I didn't figure that one out on my own, I took it to the "JEEP" dealership and that's

what they told me was wrong. They fixed it and all is well!!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I had a hunch u joints had something to do with it. Now the real question is should I

have the u joints replaced on warranty and pay the deductible or just do the work myself. Thanks for the information and help.[addsig]

Back