starter does not engage when cold

idrthrbfishing

I have a 97 wrangler 2.5 4cyl. In the sping my starter was making a grinding noise when it startted, I replaced it with a new starter, The new starter would miss on occasion, but would always start on the second or third turn. I began having trouble again a few weeks ago with the return of the cool weather. when the engine is cold, as sitting all night, the starter spins but does not engage. This will continue for anywhere from two till ten or twenty attempts at which time it will engage and start right up. The problem will not occur again until the engine has cooled off for a few hours. I have replaced the starter, the starter relay, battery and I have runn a new grounding wire directly from the battery to the starter. Has anyone expierenced this or do you have any further questions. I am hoping to try to keep this one out of the dealers hands but I am almost at this point. thank you
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Have you checked the flywheel for any teeth missing? Try cleaning all the wire connections with some sand paper. If that doesn't help pull the starter off and connect the solenoid to a battery to see if it is throwing out the gear. If it is the wire that connects to the solenoid needs to be looked at/[addsig]

I had a similiar problem with my starter but not exactly the same....the starter teeth would go out to engage but would not spin to turn over the starter. I found it to be a bad connection. All the connections looked good but when I stripped some of the plastic insulation off the power wire comming from the battery I found it to be corroded from the battery all the way to the starter. I just replaced my battery wires and everything was fine.[addsig]

thanks for the reply I checked the flywheel when I put the starter in due to the previos grinding, I'll check the wires and replace if I see any corrosion or just to be safe I'll replace them anyway I do a lot of driving on the beach and the salt water can get to things you cant see. thanks again I'll let you know
image-missing.png
[addsig]

As I enjoy playing in the mud, I always keep a fresh starter on the shelf. I clean out the dirty one with a steam cleaner or a compressed air solvent gun filled with boiling water. It helps starter gears to engage, when they are clean and helps prevent the brushes from premature wear. Opening up the starter isn´t really that difficult (especially with a Chiltons). Sometimes the starter has to be shimmed to function properly. I´ve also notice that small nicks in the starter gear, that when filed smooth, often help with engagement. Most times when the starter begins acting up in the winter, it´s dirty connections or a weak battery. One quick test, is to turn on the headlights then engage the starter, if they dim more than a little, it´s usually a weak battery (or charging system).[addsig]

I checked the charging system ok, My last restort before the dealer will be to replace the stater wiring thanks for your help [addsig]

Back