adjustable air shocks

shadman

I have 2" shackle lifts on a 89' wrangler yj, would JC Whitney air shocks work to raise the front 1". The rest is stock. would it be safe?

I dont go wheeling, I just want a little lift cheap.

thanks for any info.

Sure, people use air shocks often, like adding a plow. It helps lighten the load on the springs. Not sure how it will ride, I never used them. Sounds like a good idea.

It'll ride rough and it's tough on the shock mounts. I don't recommend them. Install shorter shackles on the rear if you want to level the ride.

i had air shocks in the rear for about 2 years... now i only have one shock in the rear.. with no air in it... my lower driver side mount broke off.. and i had to remove it... now the other side wont' hold air because they shared plumbing... if you want to do it, do it.. but beef up your shock mounts too...

why do you want to raise the front 1".. and why do you want to lift

Air shocks are not lift kits. I know too many people with hotrods that put on air shocks just so they can fit a little bigger tire in the back, then they wonder why the car now has LESS traction with the bigger tires and it rides like crap. The suspension is there for a reason, air shocks pumped up enough to lift the vehicle keep the suspension from doing it's job properly. If you do it, make sure those shockmounts are bulletproof.
As a side note, air shocks on the front sounds like a big NO-NO. It seems like they could disrupt the balance of the vehicle and cause a loss of control bad enough to put you in the ditch if they decided to not hold air anymore or a mount popped off while you were flying around a turn.

junkpile is right... they are not intended to supplement your suspension system... only compliment them... if you want to suppliment your springs, you want air cylinders or air bags... air shocks are just what their name says, SHOCKS operated by air... and they are not intended to do anything more than gas shocks... do not cut out the performance of the rest of the suspension system

thanks for the info, no air shocks. Would add-a-leaf spring be ok?

Its all stock but 2" lift shackles. thanks

add a leaf systems work great if you do them right... i'm very very happy with mine

Back