metal scrapings in oil

eat_sleep_jeep

I changed my oil today to find some metal scrapings in there. :shock: Very tiny metal scrapings but a good amount of them. What could this be from??

mean green dual battery tray

i'm sure a small amount is normal for wear and tear. So long as its not chunks right?

No scrapings are allowed in a healthy engine! A slight metallic look is OK after a 3000-5000 mile oil change and is considered normal, but no "scrapings" - could be any number of internal areas - I don't know much about your particular engine, but I'm sure the 2.5L gurus will point you to the main problematic causes LBR

Change your oil a little sooner than normal, and check to see if there is more metal in there. If there is, you might want to check things out in your engine, or find a mechanic to take a little look at it.

It's also possible to send out a sample of your spent oil to a lab in your area to analyse it for type of metal shards - may give ya an idea of what part of the engine is giving way LBR

likely a bearing going bad.... have you gotten any coolany in your block that you know of? that can often eat away at bearings... or it could be cam/lifter material

likely a bearing going bad.... have you gotten any coolany in your block that you know of? that can often eat away at bearings... or it could be cam/lifter material
I'm not sure, I've never checked. Maybe I'll bring it to a garage and let them check it out. Thanks guys.

Back