Tie Rod

LauraBoston

pics ---> http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286542931

So I bent it..I'm replacing it. But cant replace it for a few days. So i'm going to straighten it. Somebody mentions using a Hi Lift Jack..anybody heard of this? Or...any ides on how to striaghten it.

I was gonna heat it and beat it with a BFH.

Only reason why I'm even straightening it, is becuase it's messing with my steering wicked bad.

Thanks,

Laura

Yeah, that's pretty bent. I bet it messes up the steering and the tires too, since your Jeep is now pigeon toe'd. It will wear the inside of the tires. A bent and straightened tie rod will bend again really easy. Go ahead and replace it before you have a wreck. People only straighten them to get out of the woods.
That's a nice bend. It looks like it took you more than one try to customize it like that.
Call a salvage yard and see if you can score one.

It'd be tough to straighten with a hilift, but many jeepers will sleeve a tierod with the hilift handle after it's straightened to keep it from bending again while they get off the trail, and maybe even home.

I've straightened mine with my winch through a snatch block on a tree. You'll likely have to pull it past straight as it will rebound slightly.

Here's you a replacement Tie-Rod
image-missing.png

:)

http://www.spydercustoms.com/index.html

Believe it or not, 1 hit, 1 rock did that.
I'm just gonna get a stock one...well I should say, I just got one from the dealer for $30..but the only problem is I can't find one auto store that carrys boots.

Will any Jeep boot fit? I mean CJ/YJ? 4wd has some CJ boots..they look the same but i'm not sure if they are the same size.

Ok, I'm a dork, I have a CJ in my driveway that I can look at. :roll:

Nice hit there Laura...I am proud of ya!
I would only try to straighten it to get it off the trail...and replace it when I got home.
Oh dont forget to go get it alighned afterwards!

i would really suggest sleeving it if you are gonna mess with it at all.. the added strength is never a bad thing

joejeepny has a nice setup. Maybe he will tell ya the way he did it... CHEAP and Strong

The metal has turned soft from bending already. Be careful bending it back.

Congratulations to Mingez' City - El Paso, Texas

Thanks guys... :D It's going up on the wall next to the rear out put shaft

I put the new one in, and while putting it in..I was thinking It still don't look right. Well, I bent the other one too. Go figure.

Nice, I remember you saying it was bent, But I though like a little arch, not a full on Z hehe

Was it that rock that bent Matts skid plate and the one I got a little air out of?

What boots are you talking about? If you are talking about the rubber dust covers on the tie rod ends then just rob them from the bent one and clean and grease accordingly.
How did you bend the new one putting it in?

Yea, I'm talking about the boots on the ends. I'm using the same ends but I cound't get it off with out messing up the ends, and now the grease oozes out.

When I put the new tie rod on, I noticed the drag link was bent. The one that goes from the pitman arm to the passanger side knuckle, I think it's called.

CJ boots are defintally different, and the dealer didn't have any. I called some boot making company and they don't make them..so I don't know what to do..I don't want to screw up the ends because they boots are all hacked up.

360 v-8 engine swap in a cj7

Try auto zone or pep boys. There in the help section. They might not be exact but it will work.

The boots are supposed to ooze grease.
Yep that's the drag Link. Get a new one of those and put it on then take it to get aligned. Have fun getting the rod end off of the pitman arm.

Auto Zone has them..but the big part isn't big enough.

I know they are suposta ooze grease..but it's oozing out where there wasn't a hole before. With a seperator should I have a problem?

Laura!

Holy batman girl, you sure do know how to tear up a vehicle! lol You've replaced more broken stock parts than I have mods! That was a bang up job on the tie rod. I hope you've cleared this mess up allright. I can't offer advice but I'm thinking of ya! It's a good thing you have other vehicles to depend on!

Lady

Back