Lifting a YJ

jeepfan555

Ok, it seems like this question is asked a lot here but I really want to make sure I get something good. I have 31" MTR's that I am planning on putting on my YJ. Sweet tires got them for christmas. I have been looking all over the place to see what lift would be the best. I have no lift right now with a 2.5L and was looking for something around 2.5" and I am willing to spend up to $800 on it. This is my daily driver and I need to make sure that the ride isn't too rough. The questions i have are:

1. What is the best size lift to get with 31" tires? (looks wise and proformance)

2. What brand is the best for my price range?

I am not planning on doing really hardcore offroading just some simple easy stuff until I start getting into it, I am a beginner.

Rough Country has a good 3 inch kit for cheap. I would not exceed 3 inches with 31's or the tires will look "dinky". There is no need to spend $800 on a 2.5-3 inch lift for a YJ. Most of them fall between 400-600, and if you need some extra flex get some revolver shackles and make sure you toss the rear track bar and get some sway bar discos while your at it.

A friend of mine just put Rubicon Express' 2.5" standard duty lift on his YJ. It looks and rides great. He has 31's. Here's a picture:
Kevins91Sahara-1.jpg

I advised him to spend the extra money for the "extreme duty" kit, but he said he couldn't justify the extra $$$. after riding in it I think he was right. It is a very complete kit that comes with a trasfer case drop and swaybar disconnects instead of just longer swaybar links.

$569 shipped to the door with upgraded Doesch Tech 3000 shocks. I don't think you'll find a better deal.

This is where he got his: http://jeepinoutfitters.com/products.asp?ID=181

If you're willing to spend up to $800 on a quality lift... I'd say Old Man Emu. They're 2" lift is very high quality and the on-road ride will not suffer. Of course, you'll spend every bit of that $800 and probably then some. Otherwise, I'd also say the Rubicon Express 2" kit for about $500. But if you really wanna save money... just get some add-a-leaves and a 1" daystar body lift. That (w/ new shocks) will only run you about $300 out the door. Then you got $500 to buy a Powertrax locker for the rear and you'll be more capable than the guy with 4" lift, 33's and open diffs (me!)

Corey

Before I bought a cheap lift and screwed up the ride quality, I'd just run a small BL/shackle combination. If you've got $800 to spend on a lift to clear 31s, then you can have a pretty nice lift. Look at the Skyjacker and Rubicon Express 2.5" kits, both are nice quality and work really well.

Will a 2" lift be enough to clear the tires or will they rub with extreme flex? Also, if I go with a lift over 2.5", like a 3" will that be too much and make my tires look tiny?

Everyone has their own idea of what looks good on a Jeep (ie. I hate excessively wide tires). But in my opinion, yes, 31's will look small on a 3" lift. 32's would look perfect under a 3" YJ lift.

C

Here is what an 87 YJ with a Rough Country 3" lift looks like with 31's. I thought it worked pretty well Never a worry bout rub and I added some disco's up front and flexed pretty good. Rough Country can bought for the best price from a place called http://www.followmyrutz.com/catalog_2/default.php and they are fast shippers and good to work with! Just my 2 cents. tug

image-missing.png

Back