258 85cj7 am I having timing issues or valve issues

Platsmith

I have a 85 with the 258 carter bbd carb. Here is my prob. I can't seem to get my timing right. When I run through the gears in the higher rpm and at highway speeds the dang thing sounds like a diesal. I'm not sure if it's a timeing issue or valve issue but I have no probs at the lower and mid rpm and when I adjust timing higher or lower it is worse through the whole range. The card was new prob about 2 years ago before I bought the jeep. I've done the ford TFI convesion and I am running a gap of .045 I've also done the alluminum valve cover. Do you guys think switchin to the weber would solve my probs or can I five it another way any imput would be great
Platsmith

Is the noise you are hearing a mechanical sound like something is damaged or loose, or is it spark knocking? If it's pinging and down on upper RPM power, I'd check the centrifugal and vacuum advance mechanisms and make sure they are operating correctly. Is the carb set way too lean? Pop the valvecover and check to make sure nothing is loose or bent.

Back