EZ-locker or Lock-Right

I have no experience with the EZ locker so I can't comment on that one. I've had a Lock Right. Noisy little thing, but it was trouble free. I'll buy another one more than likely.

hi_c said:
hi_c said:
I already know the D35 is weak. So gimme your thoughts ON THESE 2 LOCKERS ONLY, not on whether you think I should lock or not.

Did I not make myself perfectly clear?
So can I hear from somebody with an opinion on the EZ-locker vs. the Lock-Right?

If you're not going to comment on one of these 2 lockers (reliability, quality, pros/cons) then please... don't comment. Thanks.
Corey

Do a lincoln... Detroit... ARB... or wait a minute. You want comments on THOSE lockers. Never mind it wasn't clear. :D

JK.

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Seriously,
I decided to go with the Lockrights. The EZ's have a bad rep. My LR's aren't noisy, and now I wonder how I've really gotten along without them. Best upgrade since gears.
:lol:
:lol:
:)
:)

Bounty__Hunter said:
Seems to me that the sudden locking of the lunchbox locker during wheel spin is too much shear force for the axleshaft where it necks down to the splines.

For my money it would be a limited slip or Lincoln Locker, and with as little as you say you wheel I'd stay open or get a LS.

BINGO - BH hit the nail on the head - first person i ever heard who actually know's what they're talking about - same goes for open diff - sudden lockup snaps the axles - PERIOD - limited slips don't do that - they transfer the torque to the wheel with traction - they don't slam the axles - torque transfer is very fast - also don't want to hear the arguement that one wheel has to slip before the other one "kicks in" - the transfer happens in a nanosecond & the torque ramp up to the wheel with traction CANNOT be noticed - handles like a locker - the other point folks make is u have to keep both tires on the ground - personally i have never had a problem with this either - torque always transfered to the wheel with traction even when i had one wheel in the air...

Bounty__Hunter said:
LS and open are not the same thing, and many limited slips (LS) perform very well, much better than an open diff.

my lsd's perform better than most lockers i've run with!

detroit trutrac's - they're easy on the d35 too - if u don't believe me - ask anyone who has wheeled with me including tom (white)

if u insist on a lunchbox - go lockright - cheapest & toughest of the bunch

-sudz

So, what's the total cost for a LS? I'm not able to do any heavy work on my own Jeep, so what would be an estimated cost to go LS?

Yeah, what's a LS cost? And where do you get one? Are they as easy to install as a Lock-Right?

Corey

Downside to the limited slip is that the entire carrier needs replaced, meaning properly setting up the gears. Lunchbox lockers and Lincoln Lockers get the nod here for simplicity.

What about a Truetrac in the rear (D35)? I'm not sure I want to have to "tap the brakes" everytime I want it to work, nor wheel with the e-brake on. What's a welded rear feel like on the street in turns? I bet it's pretty wierd.

Welded rear diff doesn't do anything 'wierd' in turns, just barks the inside tire a little if it's a real right turn. My hard BFG MT's bark pretty good, but can't hardly hear the TSL/SX's as they're much softer. It turns the heads of those who actually know differentials and what kind of performance lurks underneath. Those that don't know just think you're squeeling the tires, at 1/4 throttle no less.

Wet/snow/ice on roads requires delicate driving, as with any locker. As long as you don't accelerate hard in turns the rear end won't pass you up.

Ask anybody running welded or spooled, it's predictable on the road and unbeatable offroad. Most who lock up like this won't go back.

I agree with everything you guys are saying, the spooled or welded diff is very predictable. It's not for beginners though. Anybody can learn to drive one, no doubt, but they can and will get you in trouble quick if you forget what you've got at the wrong second. Let off the throttle with the locker and it's SUPPOSED to unlock, not so with the spool or lincoln locker.

I like limited slip units, they can be more effective in CERTAIN cases than a locker. That being said.....there isn't a LS unit out there that will provide the slow-speed,tire lifted in the air traction that even the cheapest locker, spool, or welded diff will. The torque transfer between the two wheels is not 100% when one wheel has less load. LS units wear out and become less effective the more you use them too(except totally geared units).

Back