Draining the AX-15

Joopin

Super Moderator
gonna change the fluid, where is the drain plug on this thing? I didn't see it when I was under there.

Also, where do I fill it?

I looked in my chiltons book but it was kinda vague.

Thanks for any help.
Joop

Draining is the easy part, the filling is what sucks!

I am trying to remember, I think the drain is on the lowwer front portion of the transmission, but you can't miss it, it is a large nut! the fill will look identical but is hig up on the side. To make filling just a little easier, you can take the skid plate off. I can be done with it on, but you will need to use a fluid transfer pump. They are pretty cheap at a parts store.

Its on the passenger side above the torx socket that says do not remove

Attach a foot or two of tubing or hose to the nipple on the oil bottle. Take off the shifter cover and run the hose through the hole in the floor and into the fill hole on the transmission. I had a 3" BL that gave me alot of room over the transmission, I don't know if there's enough room without one.

I like that shift cover trick, but I don't know if I can get it off. I hurculined over the screws!! Yeah, I'm an idiot, but at least my brother learned from my mistake. Thanks for the ideas.

bought some goodies yesterday

mud4feet said:
Yeah, I'm an idiot
You're an idiot, too!! Good to know I'm not alone!!! :mrgreen:

LOL, you mean there are more of us? That's kinda sad.

So I'm off to get a fluid pump... I assume AutoZone or something like that.

Thanks again

Junkpile said:
Attach a foot or two of tubing or hose to the nipple on the oil bottle. Take off the shifter cover and run the hose through the hole in the floor and into the fill hole on the transmission. I had a 3" BL that gave me alot of room over the transmission, I don't know if there's enough room without one.
Word to your mother!!

I never thought of that, awesome Idea. Suction gun-fluid transfer pump, all the same!

Well I looked all over and I didn't find that drain plug. I did find a torx on the pass. side, didn't see anything about "do not remove" and didn't see any bolt above it either. And if it was above it, the torx i saw was so high on the transmission that anything above it wouldn't drain anything unless it was pumped out. If I fail to find the plug, I think I just may get cottman transmissions to do it.

Not jeep related

Look about mid way up on the drivers side of the transmission case for the fill plug, and at the bottom of the passenger side for the drain. I think, I may have it confused with something else. They should also both be just regular hex heads that you can use a socket on.

Back